Motorrad Charger

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? When its is first attached it seems to do some checks and then start charging. The display shows charge percent on top row of display and both current and voltage on the bottom row.

The voltage never seems to vary but after a while the current seems to drop, from 1-1.5 A down to less than 0.5. The manual doesn't seem to explain why this happens but I assume this is just part of the normal operation? Can anyone clarify. My only guess is that it is reducing the power of the charge the closer it gets to 100%?

My mate brought round 2 batteries the other day to get them charged from almost nothing. As it was charging them, it seemed to reduce the current, but well before it got the battery up to even close to 100%

After it gets to 100% and goes into maintenance mode it powers off completely I think. It then restarts every day/week/whenever to check if the battery needs a top-up (according to whatever criteria it uses). My question relates to the initial connection of the charger as per first sentence, as it initially charges a battery that hasn't been on trickle charge. My mate was worried that the reduction in charge confirmed his suspicions that his batteries are ******, I thought it was more likely as per my guess in first post? (the light on the charger that indicates the battery is a dud did not come on).

thats what happens, same with all smart chargers, the current starts low, goes high until a certain point then lowers itself for the last part of charging until fully charged, then monitors the battery condition and will put a very low ampage in to keep topped up.

so yes, your assumption is correct ;)

it's the reason most EV drivers only charge to about 80% on public chargers, it drops down to a very low current to help protect the battery over heating etc (and time charging the last 20% or so)

Last edited:
As mentioned by Scooby above, all battery chargers will drop the rate at which they charge a battery for the last 20% or so of State of Charge (SoC). The internal battery resistance increases dramatically as it gets close to 80% SoC and so good battery charger management systems will reduce the charging current. But the bike battery chargers are really good and in winter my Optimate 4 draws about 0.01 kWh when it the battery is full of charge and just tops it up (mine is without the alarm switched on). My K46 is nearly 5 years old and still on the same battery since new. If you have multiple bikes, as I know you do buddy, make sure each bike is topped up with it at least once per week and you are very unlikely to ever have a battery problem.

Latest posts

Back