mixing tyre manufacturers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guys got Pirelli supercorsas on, the front is ok but the rear is worn and losing pressure to often so need to change it.I want to move away from these and try the metzeler m7rr but being tight don't want to replace the front and waste the rubber so could I just put a rear m7rr on until the front needs replacing without any issues.And if so anyone know the best place to get one from mine is a 200 rear section for the light weight wheels.

If you bin the bike you will kick yourself for being a tight Arse . M7 great tired but get the pair

I've been in this situation before but always changed the pair, or just kept the same tyre on the rear.

As I saw it, put another supercorsa ok the back, and when it's time to change that the front will need changing too.

hmm not something I would personally do...... but one of my good mates does this all the time, he picks up cheap secondhand or free part worn tyres off gumtree ,twos a pair!, he has never bought a new set of tyres for his blade and he's never had any problems ...... that being said he is a bit of a nutter.......lol

Last edited:
Im with the rest of the guys Masho... fit a pair... if anything its one less worry if your gunning it... hard enough keeping your concentration on important issues like changing road surfaces..hazards etc without getting distracted mid flow

stu's phone

If you haven't already got experience with mixing tyres front to back I would leave well alone. I'm pretty tight myself so left the mismatched combo that came with my blade when I bought it. Pirelli some sort of corsa up front with very few miles on and brand new pilot power 2ct out back. I was in fear of my life for about 200 miles and then put my hand in my wallet to change the front. Never again.

Think you got the gist masho. Plus the SPs and the m7rr tyres are very different and handle very differently, in the wet you'd have loads or rear grip and little front if you did what you're suggesting.

The main reason I change both at the same time (even if I'm staying with the same tyres and one isn't fully used up) is because the profile changes as you wear the tyre, having one new and one used, even if they are the same tyre, will cause issues on cornering.

Guys got Pirelli supercorsas on, the front is ok but the rear is worn and losing pressure to often so need to change it.I want to move away from these and try the metzeler m7rr but being tight don't want to replace the front and waste the rubber so could I just put a rear m7rr on until the front needs replacing without any issues.And if so anyone know the best place to get one from mine is a 200 rear section for the light weight wheels.

I'm buying a pair of M7RR's next week, tyre leader doing them for ?200 -bargain I'd say

Latest posts

Back