Midland S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYLOCO

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, Was previously a ninja man, having had 2 ZX400's, 2 ZX6R G1's, 1 ZX6R B1 then bought an R6 before taking the plunge into the litre bike territory.

Bought a BMW S1000RR in Motorsport colours about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately only the first week was riding, onto the second week when we had that really warm spell (June 30 to July 4), bike wouldnt start all week, or rather it would start in the garage and then left me stranded on 3 seperate occassions, one being on the A38. 3rd week it went into Benhams BMW where it currently still is as they've told me even though they have the parts to switch the right side, they have to wait for parts to replace the left hand switches (even though currently not faulty).

So yeah, not the greatest of starts, especially since i passed up on getting the ZX10R ABS. Hoping things will get better moving forward.

Welcome along,
Not a great start indeed, hope it's sorted soon and you get to enjoy it.

hey Syloco...welcome aboard and sorry to hear you're having issues.....if its any consolation i've had my 2015 4 weeks and it's now back at the dealer for at least the whole of July with a faulty ignition switch! :( Awaiting a new ignition lock and switch from Germany....neither BMW or the dealer can give me an exact timescale and, as i'm sure you are, i'm thoroughly pissed off!! ....incredible bike but less than pleased with the customer service...i'll be seeking out some serious compensation when i eventually get my bike back!! ...hope you get sorted asap! ;-)

I'm amazed about the switch issue, this was a problem years ago and BMW have been replacing them foc for some time with ones that don't fail. Amazed they put bad stuff on a new model, you'd think they'd have learnt something about this issue by now.

BTW, if the starter fails when the bike has been stood out in the sun for a while, covering it up with a damp cloth for 15 minutes often cools it down to get you going again. Of course this shouldn't happen but if anyone gets stranded with this problem give it a go.

Thanks all for the replies, have you been offered anything in form of compensation Cavey? I thought about proposing a letter but not sure if I should wait it out until it's fixed.

I think there's always that one bike thats plagued with issues. I remember having a fiat years ago when I first started driving that had issue after issue. Found out through the forums that there were a batch of cars made during a certain period that just had issues due to fiats work force being on strike at that time.

maybe my bike was made during the lunch break or something?

Hopefully wednesday it'll be back out.

BMW customer service have promised me some form of compensation but they said let's wait until i get the bike back and then discuss. I'm probably gonna be without the bike for about a month so if you take in to account loan payment, insurance and depreciation right in the middle of a (lets say 6 month?) riding season then i'm not gonna be happy with anything less than ?1k compensation either off servicing costs or parts. BMW better deliver or they will be sorry they ever sold me a bike! ;-) ....hope you get yours sorted asap along with suitable compensation!

You know what i got caught with the faulty stop/start button on my brand new 14, pain in the arse breakdown.
But the real pisser is the constant problems across various BMW models with the same sodding switch for a number of years, its beyond my comprehension.

I feel your pain for a fault that should have been sorted, with all dealers being told to at least surely have a stores stock of half a dozen,but no......

I agree with both of you. Why they're keeping the bike in to replace a switch that isn't faulty is beyond me. Surely the sensible thing is get you on your way and ask you to come in at your convenience to have them swapped when the part arrives, it is a quick job. I know they swap both as a matter of course even if one isn't faulty, but I can't see how that helps when there isn't stock ready. Muppets.

i totally agree soof.....although in my case the ignition switch has failed.....ignition is on permanently and bike will start without the key! I asked if they could just replace the switch for now, which is a readily available part (next day?) but BMW are insisting that they replace both the ignition switch and lock. The lock is what's causing the delay....has to be coded to my chassis at the factory in Germany. I even offered to take the bike back in when the lock arrives but they refuse to let me have the bike back at all until it's fixed.....weather is great today and i'm off work....hmmmm not happy!! :(

Welcome to the forum bud, not a good start, I hope it is fixed quickly.

That's a good point Soofsayer, it seems myself and Cavey are having bikes held against our will. Deserve some road tax back at least as we haven't had the chance to ride the bikes.

When i enquired about the HP4 at the dealer they told me they weren't able to sell it yet as they'd taken a part off it to fix a customers bike. If that was a viable option then why haven't they done said switch replacement like that now is beyond me? I've been given a date of Wednesday for the work to be done by so fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back