MCN back to back tests a little comfort for us.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marzy

Reaction score
Reading the MCN today it seams the 2015 S1000 reaches 180mph 11 seconds faster than the new R1 (11 bloody seconds ffs). BM hits 180 in 17.49 secs. R1 28.4 secs. Top speed for BM 184.69mph. R1 176mph. The 0-60, the BM beats the H2, Busa & R1. 0-100 the BM 5.8 R1 6.35.
I know weather conditions temp etc play a part, but 11 secs slower for the Yam is remarkable.

The BMW results were taken from the Youtube MCN video.

All the above tests above were carried out by MCN at Brunters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhdj80hJj0

Just a little comfort for us with all this negativity over quality issues. Makes me smile anyway :unconscious:

How does it hit 180 (11seconds later) if its top speed is 176? Logic fail. I assume it's soft limited at 176 and the last 4mph are slow as a result of that. Either way its a daft test.
Why not test to 160mph well within both bikes top speed?

The big bang R1 was the best thing for years when it came out, a year later it wasn't. Don't believe journo's on a beano.

Doesn't really explain why MCN found the R1 faster round Xerez last month and overall the best litre bike this year:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...a-r1-back-on-top-ultimate-superbike-shootout/

Because MCN have always been about grabbing headlines! They did concede the BM was a much better all rounder on the road than the R1 didnt they? What makes me laugh is that Guy Martins Superstock BM's beaten Michael Dunlop's R1 'Superbike' fair and square on the roads in the last couple of weeks and Tommy Bridewell well and truly beat Josh Brookes at Oulton BSB in race 1 yesterday and probably also would have in race 2, so maybe the R1's only faster than the S1000 round a track when the MCN boys are riding it!!

Ye I tweeted mcn yest with the super stock results, 1 r1 in the top ten there that good, and the mcn reporter is even racing a BM the yam is so fast

Yeah Alistair Seeley came home first in superstock on the BM didn't he? We'll have to see what the other rags / online rags come up with but I'm thinking I might have to go and test an R1 myself to see what's what!

I have only seen one on the road. My 2010 wasted it easily !

I don't believe a most things i read nowadays in these mags its all about who has the biggest marketing budget to be fair...

Bragging rights down the pub, in the car park etc. Whoever is good enough to be faster on this one or that one and know the difference, set it up properly and get the best out of it to the nth degree (and a bottomless pit) deserves respect. There wasn't an R1 about when I was due to change so who knows maybe they lost a sale? I know 2 club racers that bought one, 1 R1 and 1 R1m will pass on some feedback when they have some miles on.
Love my beemer or bimmer (think beemer is car?) though !!

Hmm, that was an exhaustive test! I sense some of the initial R1 euphoria is dying down a bit now the various rags etc have had a chance to ride one for more than a few laps of a track.

Talking to Michael Neeves (mcn) at my local track, he was on his R1 test bike and he reckons the R1 is a better road bike but the s1000 is a better track bike. Reckons the R1 runs out of puff. F**k it's small but sound track is awesome....

Latest posts

Back