Massive Oil Leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorsley

Reaction score
I have had my bike back to the dealer now 4 times for oil consumption it tends to use about 300 mil per 1000 miles and they always say nothing wrong at the weekend i noticed my bike seemed to by excessively dirty around the Oil cooler upon inspection is looked like Exxon Valdez disaster in my belly pan completely covered front to back, it took me a whole can of gunk to get it somewhere near clean!!! It lost about 300 mil in 100 miles.

My dealer is collecting the bike on Thursday to assess where the oil is leaking from, but i think its somewhere round the Oil cooler.

One of my feed hoses to the cooler was very damp around the swage so I replaced it before it got any worse

and they always say nothing wrong

That's the problem. Oil coming out of a bike is very serious. I've never had oil loss on either bmw bike requiring topping up between services, let alone what you've described. Even if they couldn't find the problem, it was clearly not normal, it should have warranted further investigation...

So Bahnstomer have looked at my bike today and it needs a new Oil Cooler they is no sign of damage its just leaking and BMW will cover the part even thought the bike is out of Warrenty i just need to pay for the labour; then they told me your sump is badley corroded sir and needs replacing and unfortunatly this will be at your cost!!!! when I told them this is known issue with all S1000rr I was told it is not! F&^King Liar!!!!! he then told me the bike is marketed as a track bike that can be used on the road and is not ment to be ridden in bad weather, so why does it have rain a mode??

So I phone BMW customer service to find out why this would not be covered on a 2 year 2 week old bike that has only ever been ridden in the occsional rain shower and they are looking into to it for me.

All I can say if does not get sorted to my satisfaction they can have the bike back and I will by a Jap bike as they dont suffer problems like this, this will be my fith warrenty claim in two years I thought BMW bikes were supposed to be the best

well BMW are refusing to help with the sump and telling me it my fault i should have kept it cleaner!!! it 2 years old with 5K on the clock

who wants a 2012 S1000rr with shit load of extras

Good deal on oil cooler. How much do they want for the sump? Is it actually leaking or just furry?

apparently its not safe i have been told, I have wrriten a strong worded email to BMW threating leagal action as the sump thing is a design flaw and needs to fixed before they kill somebody

Last edited:
You might already know this but you have a fair case in consumer law. In simple terms anything you / we buy has to last / work a reasonable period of time and be fit for purpose. The key points are that you bought the bmw because it was a premium product (reflected in the price tag) and that it has failed in an unreasonably short timeframe which is not what you would reasonably expect. You could technically reject the bike entirely if the manufacturer refuses to correct the fault. As the sump is a known issue, it adds further weight to your position. The bit about it being a track bike is just crap, it is marketed and sold as a bike for use on public roads.

You can get positive results if you stick to the points of law and remain calm:

I had a ?55k premium car (won't say which one here) from new in 2011 that developed an intermittent cabin rattle. After nearly 2 years and 7 dealer visits they could not find or fix it, so they swapped my car for a new one (exactly same spec etc, delivery miles).

It's a proven fact that dissimilar metals touch if they get grounded it will perform an electrolytic reaction and the softer metal will corrode so the sump is made of a magnesium alloy and the sump plug is steel!! bingo case solved it's not rocket science

Here you go, several emails from BMW

Thank you for your email dated January 18, 2014. I am sorry to learn that your BMW S 1000 RR Sport requires a replacement sump. I can appreciate how disappointing this may be, especially after having had this component replaced previously.

As advised by my colleague, Miss Laura Gleadle, we are careful to collate all field reports pertaining to the unexpected failure of any parts utilised in our products. Should a trend to established, we would look to address this through the release of a quality enhancement. I can confirm that this issue has not been highlighted in this way and there are no outstanding quality enhancements for your vehicle.

It is not clear from your email whether your motorcycle has been diagnosed at a BMW Approved Dealership. If it has, then the personnel there will be best placed to advise you of the best course of action to take.

Thank you for contacting BMW UK. If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
John Scholey
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: +44 (0)870 5050 160
Fax: +44 (0)870 5050 205
Mailto: [email protected]

Thank you for your further email dated August 20, 2013 and for providing the information I requested.

We are very proud of the build quality of our motorcycles and it is disappointing to learn of your experience. However, we are unable to guarantee that a part will not fail during a motorcycle’s lifetime. I would like to assure you that this matter has been taken seriously and details of your email have been logged under case reference number 1-10892251934, which will be monitored by our Product Development team.

I appreciate that you have concerns regarding the reliability of the part and you would like to know what would happens if it fails once the warranty has expired. Once the two year warranty has expired we do encourage our customers to purchase an Insured Warranty, to offer additional peace of mind. In the absence of a valid warranty policy we do operate a goodwill policy. If the sump was to fail on your motorcycle and you did not have any warranty policy in place, we would review your case favourably.

Thank you again for your email. I hope I have provided you with the reassurance you require, however, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
Laura Gleadle
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: +44 (0)870 5050160
Fax: +44 (0)870 5050205
Mailto: [email protected]

Latest posts

Back