M carbon wheels Vs M forged

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a 200 V02 and 190 Dunlop slicks on track with absolutely no issues at all.
From my experience on track there is no need to re calibrate anything either.

In my opinion, if there is no issue about M Carbon wheels, then carbon is a better solution. The difference even with HP Race wheels is significant but not as big as with the cast wheels. I went from cast to carbon (Dymag) and was amazed how much difference it makes. The aluminum yes might be repairable but thinking performance wise carbon all the way. They are also very beautiful.

Does anyone have the technical specs of the weight differences between the M Forged and M Carbon wheels? I've seen a video of 650ib's where they weighed a pair of M forged wheels vs a pair of BST carbon fibre wheels and the M forged were lighter, albeit not by much.

From my understanding, the reason there is minimal weight difference between the M-forged and M-carbon wheels is because the latter have thicker discs.

The carbon rim itself is lighter (by how much I don?t know), so there is a performance advantage in them, despite the scale weight.

From my understanding, the reason there is minimal weight difference between the M-forged and M-carbon wheels is because the latter have thicker discs.

The carbon rim itself is lighter (by how much I don?t know), so there is a performance advantage in them, despite the scale weight.

Both the M-forged and M-carbon has the same beefed-up discs?

Moment of inertia is affected by the position of the weight not only the total. If the disc is the heavy bit its still well inboard of the rim.

Because its closer to the hub its easier to turn (twisting force) the carbon wheel at speed than the forged even if they ultimately weigh the same.

- Alex

That's not correct Oli, the brake discs are same larger ones on the M Performance and Sport with Performance Pack (M Forged wheels). It's the regular sport with the cast wheels that have the smaller discs.

That's not correct Oli, the brake discs are same larger ones on the M Performance and Sport with Performance Pack (M Forged wheels). It's the regular sport with the cast wheels that have the smaller discs.

Yea you?re right, I just watched the video with the RR product manager on 44 Teeth and he confirmed the discs are the same on forged and carbon.
My bad, thanks for confirming @Schuey and @AlfSimen

Yea you?re right, I just watched the video with the RR product manager on 44 Teeth and he confirmed the discs are the same on forged and carbon.
My bad, thanks for confirming @Schuey and @AlfSimen

No worries Oli, it also specifies on the BMW configurator when you spec either the M Forged or M Carbon wheels.

When I took my carbon rear wheel out to change tyres I could not believe how much lighter it was compared to the standard gen 3 rear. The front felt slightly lighter but as pointed out has 2 huge disks bolted to it. Not exactly scientific thought.

Latest posts

Back