M 1000

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't take kindly to Starbucks runs...

The Motul issue is interesting. I think HM might have suggested similar before...

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Im afraid clicking the link doesnt show me anything as Im not a member.
But I use Motul 7100 on all my bikes.
Is there anything worth knowing in that post? Got me scared now...

Its on a group post so hidden to people not of FB or in that group.

TL;DR
1. The M1000RR 2 piston ring design seems to have been a shit idea. BMW issued a 'fix' but engines need cracking open to apply it, and it doesn't appear to be a recall.

2. Some odd marks on the big ends which BMW have told Phil Crowe are from not using the correct oil. They say to use their Advantec branded oil. The customer in this case was using 300V.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

I can understand from what I?ve read the 2-ring piston being shite for road use bikes, but has it been so for those bikes used exclusively/predominantly on track out of interest?

Does that mean the real issue is they shouldn?t have sold them as road register-able, if the 2-ring is for track/racing only?

?or am I way off the mark.

Personal Opinion: I think if you are careful and warm the bike up properly and are very mechanically sympathetic in the warm up stage and use approved oil you're probably golden. I think as a track day bike where it gets warm and stays warm all day it's probably behaving. I suspect all the bad experiences are from cold starting and road riding without load.

Personal Opinion: I think if you are careful and warm the bike up properly and are very mechanically sympathetic in the warm up stage and use approved oil you're probably golden. I think as a track day bike where it gets warm and stays warm all day it's probably behaving. I suspect all the bad experiences are from cold starting and road riding without load.

Ahh k yeah I got the impression it?s more of a road-use issue of a race engine, rather than design fault. Inappropriate engine for road use for vast majority.

Was the HP4 Race engine a 2-ring anyone know out of interest? Obs track only bike but just curious when the 2-ring appeared in production bikes.

Latest posts

Back