London to Somerset on A- and B-roads - recommendations?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
Any tips for cracking, prompt A- and B-roads going from West London to near Taunton, Somerset? I'm heading there crack-of-dawn Saturday and know parts of it reasonably well - the A4 from Newbury to Avebury, for example - and want to stay well clear of the logjam known as the A330.

Many years back I recall having a great blast back on the SP-2 over the Salisbury Plains past some tank-exercise grounds but can't recall which road that was (it was a bit of a roller-coaster road).

I did find, on a subsequent trip, some of the roads around places such as Devizes slow and dull due to trucks and shoppers (one reason for leaving early Saurday). Tips welcome.

Give me a few mins and I'll get the directions. I'm actually probably going to do this tonight or tomorrow night as I want to go down to see the family in Cornwall.

Many years back I recall having a great blast back on the SP-2 over the Salisbury Plains past some tank-exercise grounds but can't recall which road that was (it was a bit of a roller-coaster road).

I remember this road too when doing a Off-Road taster day a couple of years back.... they we some top roads....with military tank crossing and the like...... A342 ---

The A345 is also a good one !

Attachments

• tank_road.jpg
    tank_road.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Got pulled off to do some work, very inconvenient! Is the road you are thinking of the A303. You go down the M3 past Basingstoke and then onto the A303 which runs all the way down past the southern side of Salisbury Plain. You mention the log jam A330 ; you dont mean the A303 do you?!

Doh! Yes, the A303 - I suspect Neoliths (is that even a word) had to queue for four days with their sarsens and bluestones, trying to get to the "under construction" Stonehenge.

Haha yeah I think that's about right, the traffic isn't too bad on a bike though, it's the quickest enjoyable way for me to get down to Cornwall. Those rollercoaster roads across Salisbury Plain are a lot of fun and especially the A4 Newbury to Marlborough but slow me down a bit much. I only remembered last night that the S1000RR is still on slicks so not sure I'll be able to go down tonight now.

Latest posts

Back