left side switch gear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Well I do not feel left out now.............my switch gear has failed and my left indicator has stopped working completely. Being a RC fanatic as well and none of that shit comes working as it should - usually lots of fettling, so I fettled around for a bit removed the switch gear opened it up.

There are 3 switches inside, the left switch, I took a very small washer (smaller that the diameter of the switch) and glued it on top of the switch, to get a little more purchase on it - reassembled and hey presto working left indicators. I do have to press harder than normal but they work perfectly.

How long this fix will last i don't know only time will tell, it will fail again I think but gives me time to figure out what the next move is.

100 quid for a second hand part from ebay. - fit myself

170 odd quid for the left switch gear - fit myself

205 odd quid for BM to do it inc. fitting

382 for extended warranty + breakdown cover and loan bike.

Not sure whether to wait till it goes again or just get on it and do one of the above?

What do you rek?

Cheers

So, I take it you are not in warranty. Mine went in warranty, I called BMW customer services (every other day for a month whilst they tried to get a part on backorder from Germany) I ended up with my service paid of 142 notes, 100 dealer credit and a fully 417 quid paid up extended warranty for 12 months.

Whilst I realise this may not be helpful to you, it may be worth a call to customer services with a compassionate by knowing amount of evidence of the problem from forums around the globe and the lack of a re-call. Make sure they know that you are part of a BMW forum with thousands of subscribers and work as a freelance writer for a sports magazine.......

Edit: I know bugger all about motorbikes but I do argue for a living...... horses for courses an all that.........

Last edited:
No mate out of warranty and as I purchased my bike from a non authorised BMW dealer, I didn't get the free 3rd year of warranty. Its not the end of the world. I hear you Nick, I never thought of that.......good plan, will try my luck and see what gives.

Cheers

Don't really matter now, I understand what the issue is and have applied a fix which is working a treat.

Indicating left was a bit stiff but it has loosened up and I used it over and over today and felt and worked completely normal.

Should this have been a recall and sorted - you bet your ass!!. They recalled the switch gear on the 2009 1300 and should have done so with the S1000RR.

But these things only happen if there is danger to the rider life or enough owners rally together and make them recall it. The funniest part about this is that they are still fitting the dodgy switch gear.

PITA for you if you wanted to go down the warranty route, is that BMW will only continue the warranty - so if it expires and you don't renew, you can't get back on it.

I take it you've tried to phone a dealer and chance your luck with a free repair - I know several have got them done outside warranty for free, albeit when they bought from a dealer and not long out of warranty...

Lumpy, when my left indicator stopped working. I also by fluke discovered my horn had stopped working at same time.

So, just a heads up to try your horn :)

Lumpy, when my left indicator stopped working. I also by fluke discovered my horn had stopped working at same time.

So, just a heads up to try your horn :)

Cheers for that but the horn works fine -for now ;)

PITA for you if you wanted to go down the warranty route, is that BMW will only continue the warranty - so if it expires and you don't renew, you can't get back on it.

I take it you've tried to phone a dealer and chance your luck with a free repair - I know several have got them done outside warranty for free, albeit when they bought from a dealer and not long out of warranty...

DO you know what I just thought the amount of energy I was going to expend at chatting my way out I just decided to pull it apart, its never missed a beat since so i am cool with it. Any how it goes on my other S1 i will spaz!!!!

So pissed off. My right switch failed yesterday on the day the extended warranty started that BMW gave me because the left one failed! Bike won't start and BMW tells me these switches are on back order..... again.

Yeah I hear ya. The problem seems to the dodgy waterproof switches on the ribbon cable, open it up and add enough material to the point that connects with the button (i.e. make the button taller or the point of contact from the starter switch longer) and then re-assemble and try it, fixed mine in 15 minutes inc. removal and assembly - better than waiting for BM's.

Having said that I have just sold it, waiting for it to get picked up next week. Time to break out the shelf queen and live a little (assuming that the switch gear don't fail haha).

Back