Latest S test ride

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash700

Reaction score
I test rode the latest S1000RR today - bugger!!! I hate these pesky manufacturers; they know that they didn't quite get it right first time so they tweak and hone to get even closer to perfection and have made me want to spend 'more' money! The changes and tweaks are only small but they certainly make a big difference (the sum of the whole)! Most noticable was the extra mid-range, better fuelling, plusher suspension, and same Akro can as mine but much nicer tone to it. Oh, and heated grips :)

Last edited:
The extra midrange is a bigger rear sprocket , the rest is fluff and bubbles upgrade your bike fella , going off recalls alone I'd stick with what you have , as well as tweaking perfections they usually end up making the bike cheaper to manufacture ....

Agreed, i work for a motor manufacture and in my eyes id say first bike will have issues, second year issues will be sorted, 3rd year often sees minor updates along with time and cost reduction!! Stick with bike Change sprocket, flip the washer round on rear shock, decat it, reflash ecu for torque and smoother traction!! And the bike will out do the 12 bike no problem!! The extra money you'd pay for a 12 is not justifiable, if you fancy a new bike hold out and see what 2014 brings

I don't disagree with your suggestions, although there would be a cost involved in doing certain things. Two things stick in my mind... I couldn't fathom was why it sounded so much rortier than mine, and the throttle response was crisper?! As it happens, I wouldn't swap it for the latest (current) model, I'll probably pick the best option between whatever 2014 brings and the HP4.

Yeah I don't blame you
It's clear by the low interest giveaway rate on this years bike that the fancy sussies should be in the new bike , can completely understand the new ness thing :)

Got a feeling that the 2014 models will be colour change only, the uk website already shows the new colours "pics" look like its the same bike as does the spec list.

Theres a few changes between 2010/11 to the 2012. They do add up to a nicer bike.

Final Drive Ratio
Wheelbase
20% larger surface area air intake vent - Unsure if this is front fairing changes or headstock changes so might be doable with 2012 nose fairing
Quicker Throttle (11% less travel) - can do with aftermarket
+1 rear sprocket - can do with aftermarket or OEM 2012 sprocket
Steering head angle changed - changed by 0.1 degree so prob wouldn't notice this by itself
Mid speed damping valve adding to front forks - Buy some Ohlins
Different rear spring - Buy an Ohlins/k-tech/racetec spring
Swingarm pivot is 4mm higher to improve rear susp
handlebars are wider apart and slightly further away from rider - Probably doable with aftermarket (unsure)
Increased HP in rain mode - Get your ECU done by Hilltop
revised DTC settings - Get your ECU done by Hilltop
Slick mode Combustion control changed
Rear tail fairing - Buy from BMW and get it sprayed

I've got a 2011 and have test rode two 2012's. All the little differences add up to a nicer machine to ride.

Theres a few changes between 2010/11 to the 2012. They do add up to a nicer bike.

Final Drive Ratio
Wheelbase
20% larger surface area air intake vent - Unsure if this is front fairing changes or headstock changes so might be doable with 2012 nose fairing
Steering head angle changed - changed by 0.1 degree so prob wouldn't notice this by itself
Swingarm pivot is 4mm higher to improve rear susp -Change these for aftermarket ones plus you would get to choose the change.
handlebars are wider apart and slightly further away from rider - Probably doable with aftermarket (unsure)- Are you sure ive looked at those and they appera the same for me. Def doable aftermarket.

I've got a 2011 and have test rode two 2012's. All the little differences add up to a nicer machine to ride.

Made a couple of alterations/questions.

Made a couple of alterations/questions.

As for handle bars yes I'm sure it was in the 2012 catalogue thingy they sent me when it came out. However it doesn't give amounts, so might only be changed be a mm difference.

I mean they changed the steering head angle by 0.1 degree and chose to list it, I mean common not even a whole degree. So they might of moved the bars by 0.1mm and thought it was a worthy mention. lol

Final Drive Ratio
Wheelbase
Swingarm pivot is 4mm higher to improve rear susp
handlebars are wider apart and slightly further away from rider - Probably doable with aftermarket (unsure)

It's what I noticed straight away; the new bike just felt more sorted and polished. I'm reluctant to spend money on my current machine because by the time I've made it comparable to the latest I might as well have put that money towards the latest one - but I will be waiting to see what materialises...

One interesting thing the sales guy told me, is that HP4 suspension has been so well received he intimated that it may well appear as a cost option on the next SK1, which would be nice!

That's a huge cost!! Considering they will rip you off on a trade in and prob want 10k off you!! Another option would be to buy 12/13 bike at knock down cost when they release a new one!!

HP4 is what, £16.5K. Standard bike is currently £14K. That's really only a 2-3K difference, dependent on what you can negotiate, and the HP is a limited edition model. I'd be willing to bet if the trick suspension is an option on the S1K standard model, it probably won't be much over a grand? If it's standard, they really can't get away with pricing the bike much higher.

I never understand people comparing what you can get a used bike for, versus a new one. It's just fact that your bike loses a good percentage the minute your name is on the V5 - that's how it's always been and you have to assume, always will be. That's why people like me who can't spend £14K on a bike wait a year and get it for 10 :) Just makes me appreciate those who want to get something new and then take care of it :)

Don't think you see a new bike in 2014 just revised colour schemes the new bike will be here 2015 but I could be wrong

Been to see mine at the dealers today and they said just a colour change on the 2014 models and the spec is the same. "As per the website" new model / revision 2015.

Of course you can can buy aftermarket active suspension. Ohlins and Marzocchi do it. I think the Ohlins Active rear shock is only $200/300 more than the standard TTX shock[h=1][/h]

It'll be no great hardship if I have to wait until 2015. Historically, I've always tended to swap/update my bikes after 2/3/4 years. I've had pretty much all of the top Jap, sports bikes over the last 30yrs and never imagined that I'd be the proud owner of a BMW motorcycle - how things change! Something like the Blade is still a great bike, but I now feel more connected to the BMW brand (no, I'm not German). I'd love a Panigale but I'm sure that I would break it!

I like my current S1000RR, so I'm in no hurry... but always curious as to what's next?! Then, I'll probably want it!!! Never satisfied..! :wink-new:

Latest posts

Back