Insurance Increase on new model?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDPDesign

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently swapped my 2014 s1000RR for a 2015 model, and was quite taken aback by the increase in my insurance. I'm 41, 7yrs NCD, company director 4000 miles per annum inc commuting, garaged. Fully Clean licence.
I was paying ?180ish for the 14 model, now the best I can find is ?350ish with a ?650 excess. Has anyone else found the same, that the new model is costing a lot more to insure?

I've spent hours on end shopping around and can't find anyone to do a decent quote for anything less than a ?1k+ excess.

If I'm missing something or there is a knack to getting this a lot cheaper someone please tell me! :)

Have you tried MCE? Apparently they class the S1k RR as group 9 due to the low number of RR claims! ....where as a Fireblade is group 17??! ....they apparently base the group on actual number of claims rather than percentage of actual bikes on the road......i.e. more Fireblades = more claims! ...mad but just the way they work it out........might work in your favour?

MCE are cheap but not a great company though. When I had my off 2 years ago bike was away for 12 weeks to be repaired and the helmet and leather cover is a joke. ?300 is all you get and you lose the 1st ?100 so I had a ?500 helmet and a ?200 jacket destroyed and got ?200 back. And had to jump through hoops to get it. It was the 1st time I'd had the helmet on as well. They picked the bike up within a week but it took them a further 2 weeks to even look at. Reason I knoe this is because I was on the phone every week for updates. All my mates have moved away from them as well ( not due to me ) as the service they were getting was poor. Bennett's seem to be good and quite competitive

Don't touch MCE too many people had bad experiences with them.Try principal insurance Bmw wanted ?390 from me Principal got it down to ?172 with ?300 excess I too have 8 years no claims and a clean licence but am older than you.Thats with mods declared as well they only raise it if the mods are performance enhancing.

Last year I had to insure my bikes individually as BMW who had been my insurer stopped their multi bike policy, I suffered a theft in 2012 and lost all my no claims, so in 2014 only had one year.
I was blindly going to go with BMW as I had always done but was convinced by my Dad (Who is always looking for good deals) to try the Post Office.

Look carefully at the addresses of both the Post Office and BMW, but more surprisingly the difference in quotes. The only difference is that BMW would not allow me to remove my legal expenses cover and they would cover a track day that had been arranged through one of their dealers, the Post Office told me it could be arranged through a third party if I wanted a track day. Which I didn't.

BOTH SIGNED BY THE SAME PERSON WTF!!!!

Last edited:
Hi CDCDesign, my circumstances are not to dissimilar to you, I am 46 Years old ONLY 2 years NCD, company Director, no mileage restrictions, garaged, BikeTrac fitted and my renewal for the HP4 Carbon was only ?299.40 this May with the Post Office. I'm not on commission (honest) but worth a look for you. I also know that postcodes have a lot to do with the price as a friend of mine who lives in London couldn't get insurance cheaper than BMW's own.

Last year I had to insure my bikes individually as BMW who had been my insurer stopped their multi bike policy, I suffered a theft in 2012 and lost all my no claims, so in 2014 only had one year.
I was blindly going to go with BMW as I had always done but was convinced by my Dad (Who is always looking for good deals) to try the Post Office.

Look carefully at the addresses of both the Post Office and BMW, but more surprisingly the difference in quotes. The only difference is that BMW would not allow me to remove my legal expenses cover and they would cover a track day that had been arranged through one of their dealers, the Post Office told me it could be arranged through a third party if I wanted a track day. Which I didn't.

BOTH SIGNED BY THE SAME PERSON WTF!!!!

this is mental Jimmy!! :disillusionment: cheeky bastards! .....this is a blatant reminder of just how criminal these insurance companies are! ...pays to shop around!!

Also.....forgot to say...MCE sold my contact details to an accident claims company??!! Work that one out if you can??! :frown-new:

That's outrageous both quotes came from the same place and are miles apart. Wtf?

Last edited:
Back