High beam

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossHarper

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the press and hold high beam to a on/off switch with the beamer?

Riding alot at night on unlit A roads and having to hold it in is annoying and reduces control of bike. I've changed one on a zx9 a few years back, but haven't looked inside the left side controls yet to see if a simple mod could be done or if i'd have to add a button to handle bar and rewire it.

You mean the flash button...is that what you are using as a high beam ?

Last edited:
Ok... I would say I feel stupid, but mine doesn't stay on when i flick it away.. So must be something else that is naffed on my Left side switch. Already had horn and left indicator go in the past.

Ok... I would say I feel stupid, but mine doesn't stay on when i flick it away.. So must be something else that is naffed on my Left side switch. Already had horn and left indicator go in the past.

The high beam failing to stay on is the only fault my bike has had so far :/ . Touch wood. IIRC.

The high beam failing to stay on is the only fault my bike has had so far :/ . Touch wood. IIRC.

Good to know it's not just me/mine. It's actually never stayed on since buying the bike new 23 months ago.

Popped into my dealer but they ain't interested in doing it under warranty because I cut my cat off i've voided it. And I ain't replacing left side out of own pocket just for high beam, I'll leave it until something else goes wrong.... it's inevitable it's an S1000

My dealer changed mine and didn't give a shit about my exhaust/ohlins or other mods? It might be a different problem if it was an engine related issue?

My dealer changed mine with a full system on the bike.

when i fitted a quick action throttle, there are 2 small rubber pieces that fit onto the plastic switches on the circuit board, if these are not fitted and lined up correctly then the full beam switch will not push away and lock into position.

Has the switch gear been apart?

Yes, they can only void the warranty on something directly related to your modification. So, if the engine went pop, not much of a leg to stand on. Switchgear is totally unrelated. Court cases have been fought and won on stuff like this, so you will be able to claim the switchgear on warranty.

If your dealership are being arses about it, speak to BMW directly - it's only a phonecall to customer services away...

Yes, they can only void the warranty on something directly related to your modification. So, if the engine went pop, not much of a leg to stand on. Switchgear is totally unrelated. Court cases have been fought and won on stuff like this, so you will be able to claim the switchgear on warranty.

+1. Checked with my dealer about removing the cat vs warranty issues and they confirmed if anything goes wrong which is not associated to the exhaust then it will still be covered.

Don't take no for an answer Ross.

Rang BMW, because i have also fitted after market grips and clutch lever. In the process of doing so I might of caused the damage/fault myself. Ain't worth fighting just for a high beam, I have far more important things to do with my time.

I'll strip it open one day and fix it myself. Might be a good excuse for a Racing switch gear set

Ah - you omitted the grips and clutch bit - I suppose they could have a point on that if someone was clumsy fitting either. Massively unlikely, but I'd say they were within their rights, sadly.

Back