Helmets

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HJC has gold ACU rating so expect it to be pretty safe.
IMG_20140524_205031.jpg

The RPHA Max has a SHARP rating of 3 stars. (couldn't find one for the ST)

The Arai RX7 Corsair 3 star.

shark Vision-R 4 star.

Some people don't trust the SHARP ratings, but they are totally unbiased and a Government scheme. Can't go wrong with a helmet under ?100 that gets 5 stars and performs better in crash tests than a ?500 arai.

I just bought an AGV Pista GP, great helmet, not on the sharp site yet but given the racers you see in them they must be fairly good. Good field of vision, very light and the most aero dynamic helmet i've ever had, the only down side is the ventilation is controlled with removable rubber bungs but on the plus side the ventilation is very good, well ventilated without having the cold air blowing directly on to my bald head.

The RPHA Max has a SHARP rating of 3 stars. (couldn't find one for the ST)

The Arai RX7 Corsair 3 star.

shark Vision-R 4 star.

Some people don't trust the SHARP ratings, but they are totally unbiased and a Government scheme. Can't go wrong with a helmet under ?100 that gets 5 stars and performs better in crash tests than a ?500 arai.

pmsl some of you lot make me laugh, you will do 13 chunks on a sports bike but don't want to pay anymore than 100 for a lid lol. Makes total sense :stupid:

ACU Gold stickers were normally awarded to motorcycle helmets meeting the BSI Type A safety standard, while the ACU Silver stickers were awarded to helmets meeting the BSI Type B standard. But with the adoption of the ECE 22.05 safety standards, the Silver sticker had been discontinued.

However, it was recently found that the ACU has been selling ACU Gold stickers to distributors of many different types of motorcycle helmets whether or not they met BSI Type A. It was claimed that since the ACU received a royalty for the use of the sticker that they were devaluing the worth of the ACU Gold sticker by selling them to many undeserving motorcycle helmet manufacturers.

Yep they sound real trustworthy............

I'm currently looking for a new lid, has anybody used a shark speed r carbon??
cheers

I have a Shark Speed R. Had it nearly 2 years I think. No problems with the helmet or any of the bits.

Good helmet and fits me very well. Personally I find the anti fog claims a bit of a joke and have now got hold of the stuff they use in the shop to reapply it regularly. I think they now sell them with pinlock visors, which would be the way to go.

pmsl some of you lot make me laugh, you will do 13 chunks on a sports bike but don't want to pay anymore than 100 for a lid lol. Makes total sense :stupid:

I would never wear a ?100 lid lumpy, Already posted I have a Shark Vision-R.

But the results of SHARP's testing are (by most people) accepted as being independent and trustworthy and every helmet is subjected to the same vigorous tests. So if its 5 star SHARP rating lid then its a more protective lid than a 3/4 star, ignoring of price. SHARP do not consider the price at all when awarding stars.

I have also read Arai's response to the poorer SHARP ratings they get, it was awhile ago but if i remember rightly Arai's scored low because of the side impact protection isn't as good as other manufacturers. Arai's response was the side of helmet takes very little force due to the shoulder taking brunt of the force. But in a road accident who can say what part of your noggin is going to get smacked.

To balance it out, I have also read other Manufacturers purposely make there helmets stronger at the points they know SHARP test just to get a higher rating.

i don't use safety test by company's independent or not. i use the information that i get while at the track. in the last year i have had a friend break his ankle (really bad, still can't walk right) in a crash because he had some cheap boots! then 3 weeks ago my friend hit his head after a crash and he is still in a coma, he had a cheap HJC helmet! from the information i have gathered being at the track, my conclusion is if you buy cheap stuff it will not offer you the protection you need...

What do you think of the Shoei X spirit 2 this scores higher than the Arai in the sharp test and they have also brought a new helmet out in the Shakey Byrne colour scheme this is the Shoei NXR range.

Wear what your comfortable with and what you can afford. But i would also say spend a little on safety you one got one head and no insurance company can replace it, no matter how much excess you're willing to pay ;-)

All i am saying is don't just buy a lid because its cheap make sure its safe too dude. If you riding fast bikes it needs to be a competition safety rated lid tested at higher speeds and not low speed crash road rated helmets. I think!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back