Hello from Shropshire,

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

Reaction score
Hi Guys, found this forum very useful to find out things about the HP4 & things in General. I've had my bike nearly two years now and will need new tyres,not sure what to go for this time, as I'm only a fair weather rider these days. Will be out & about in May if the weather picks up.looking forward to all the interesting chat on this forum.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your intro post, I have upgraded you to a standard member.

Cant go wrong with M7RRs for all round spirited riding, or something like K3s if you don't ever go on wet roads and don't do many miles.

Hi Paul, thanks for your intro post, I have upgraded you to a standard member.

Cant go wrong with M7RRs for all round spirited riding, or something like K3s if you don't ever go on wet roads and don't do many miles.

Thanks for for the information on the tyres, how you getting on with your HP4 ? I did the TT again last year on the Beamer, & it handles really well.

Cheers Paul

I love my HP4, 10k miles on it now. What's yours up to? First ever breakdown a couple of weeks ago en route to a trackday :(. Hopefully it's a one off.

If you were at the TT you might recognise a few on here who are regular iom visitors. There are a load going again this year judging from the banter, lucky sods. :)

Yes I've been the last three years, & also the Southern 100, which I prefer.what was the problem with your bike? I've heard of a few problems with the HP4,maybe it's because some of the lads do a bit to much Mechaning themselves, I've de cat mine, & fitted the link pipe but that's it. Not that keen on the long Akropovic can, & was thinking of fitting a stubby .I would of taken it to Geoff at Hill top, he's really good I've heard.Have you had BMW bikes before? I have always had Yamaha R1's before the last being the cross plane crank, which sounds great, the R1M looks the business. Technology moves so fast.

I don't think there are many mechanical things to worry about. Electrics can be the thing, switchgear, chaffed loom, rectifier. But nothing like the recall the R1 had.

All in they are pretty solid.

Ecu reflash is a permanent change. If under warranty it *could* give you a headache. If you're just looking to trim the fueling then a bolt on bazzaz/PCV is just as good at it and you can move it from bike to bike.

Last edited:
Yes I've been the last three years, & also the Southern 100, which I prefer.what was the problem with your bike? I've heard of a few problems with the HP4,maybe it's because some of the lads do a bit to much Mechaning themselves, I've de cat mine, & fitted the link pipe but that's it. Not that keen on the long Akropovic can, & was thinking of fitting a stubby .I would of taken it to Geoff at Hill top, he's really good I've heard.Have you had BMW bikes before? I have always had Yamaha R1's before the last being the cross plane crank, which sounds great, the R1M looks the business. Technology moves so fast.

I haven't heard of any problems with the HP4 TBH, and mine has been fine until the recent episode. Diagnosis by the dealer was the voltage regulator had failed. The part has been on back order with BMW Germany for 2 weeks, hopefully arriving early next week. The dealer had never seen one fail before, hence why the part has been taking so long to get. I've only done the decat and link pipe on mine (got the dealer to do it in case of any problems) and left the rest alone, no need for a remap. I take the view that BMW R&D is better than anything I could dream up or some 3rd party in a shed. Plus the tolerances BMW build the engine to are carefully managed to ensure the least number of engine failures, pushing it further can lead to trouble if you don't know what you are doing. Anyway, 190 something bhp is plenty enough for me. I have a GSA also, for work mainly, and had a k1300 before that. Found the bikes generally reliable and good dealer service support.

Out of interest why do you prefer the southern 100?

Well it's short circuit racing, just over four miles, and I find it a lot more interesting, the TT is a time trial, but that's only my opinion. One guy on this forum had his HP4 front brake ceased up, lucky for him he was not going at any speed otherwise it would of been very nasty, also I've heard of brake shoe problems.

Welcome Paul, never had any issues with mine so far, touch wood. About 13k miles now, third birthday tomorrow 2nd May. It's flown in.

I'll be over at the TT for the full two weeks, if you see a we fat guy bursting out his leathers on a red HP4, that'll be me, don't be a stranger.

Take care bud.

JimmyMac

Welcome Paul, never had any issues with mine so far, touch wood. About 13k miles now, third birthday tomorrow 2nd May. It's flown in.

I'll be over at the TT for the full two weeks, if you see a we fat guy bursting out his leathers on a red HP4, that'll be me, don't be a stranger.

Take care bud.

JimmyMac

Lol..I love your honesty...canny believe you were ever a polis Jimmy

No worries, mind how you go, especially over the mountain, you know how crazy they are.👍

Back