Hello from Isle of Lewis

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, recently picked up my newish 2017 RR from Perth and rode it back over the Highlands. I've had sportsbikes for years, but on retiring a year ago I tried a couple of different tourers with panniers but soon found out I just didn't feel right on either of them. Hence the return to a sportsbike. Wow this thing is so fast and easy to ride. I kept it in Race mode and rode it home, some dry and a lot of wet roads. The original Bridgestone S20 tyres were wearing down by 2000 miles when I got home and I liked them but felt that the rear end of the bike was too harsh so I've since fitted Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's and am hoping they'll be a bit more compliant. I've discovered this in the past when switching to Pirelli from other makes. First bike with a multitude of electronics, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!
All the best

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new RR!

What colour 17 have you gone for? The Gen 3 RR?s are certainly amazing bikes.

Once you?ve got used to the bike a bit more, I?d recommend experimenting with the User Mode, as that will enable you to pick and choose your desired TC, wheelie control, ABS, suspension damping and throttle configuration.

What sort of riding do you do primarily (weekend fun, occasional tour and track day etc)?

Congratulations on your retirement, may you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Hope you enjoy the forum too, there is a fantastic community on here and loads of information

Oli

Hi Oli, and thankyou for the welcome! The bike is in Motorsport colours, I really wanted the two tone grey (more fitting to my age) but actually really like the Motorsport colours in the flesh. Lovely finish to the paintwork and impressive engineering and cycle parts. Not sure if I need to change anything really, but I'll probably be unable to resist. My riding is for fun nowadays, I love the Highlands, Grampians and Islands and have relatives near Aberdeen. Travel south a few times a year, family in Hertfordshire, and get to go to a number of the BSB races which I love following. I've ridden round the Nurburgring on holiday, but no great desire for trackdays I've got all the roads I like on my doorstep.
Thankyou for your tip about user mode and setting the bike up, but I'm a novice with the level of sophistication this bike has so I'm leaving it in race mode and learning how to ride the bike, making little changes once I've analysed what the bike is telling me. Its will be an on-going process but enjoyable!
All the best

Hi everyone, recently picked up my newish 2017 RR from Perth and rode it back over the Highlands. I've had sportsbikes for years, but on retiring a year ago I tried a couple of different tourers with panniers but soon found out I just didn't feel right on either of them. Hence the return to a sportsbike. Wow this thing is so fast and easy to ride. I kept it in Race mode and rode it home, some dry and a lot of wet roads. The original Bridgestone S20 tyres were wearing down by 2000 miles when I got home and I liked them but felt that the rear end of the bike was too harsh so I've since fitted Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's and am hoping they'll be a bit more compliant. I've discovered this in the past when switching to Pirelli from other makes. First bike with a multitude of electronics, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!
All the best

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bike, sounds like you're going to be sticking some miles on her, you'll find the S1K surprisingly comfortable and practical as well as bloody fast :)

Hi Lewisman, plenty of like minded older riders here to keep you company. You have some belters of roads up your way, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Welcome to the site, enjoy.

JimmyMac

Welcome to the forum from a fellow lewis man (now staying in Glasgow) good choice of bike, like Oli said once you get a feel for the bike user mode is a good way to taylor it to your style of riding, Enjoy the BM i love mine

Welcome along, great intro, always appreciated when folks say more than Hi!

- Sent from Mobile

Latest posts

Back