Hello - advice!?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S1kR^2

Reaction score
Apologies for the cheeky 1st post question combo.

ive seen a 2019 Gen 3 I like under the BMW premium selection used badge but the bike has a small mark on the alternativer cover. I'm a bit OCD and the bike be a fair weather weekend ride so will likely remain low mileage and in garage queen condition (I know, my bad).

my concern I guess is being knocked down on trade in when I hopefully come to a gen 4 some point in the future (the bike wont be on PCP).

cant decide if it's a deal breaker (dealer is saying the don't have the money in the bike to replace the cover).

Welcome your combined advice and wisdom!!

Mark? As in dropped scuff?
personally unless it?s cheap I?d look elsewhere as there are plenty about and it would annoy me. But tbh the dealers barely look at the bikes when you trade them in so in that respect won?t matter. Selling privately though is a different kettle of fish

A replacement alternator cover wont be much? Or fit protection covers (R&G) to hide the mark?

Yeah I'd fit GB Racing covers anyway so a small mark wouldn't bother me. I find it bizarre dealers don't use crash protection for demo bikes.

Yeah I'd fit GB Racing covers anyway so a small mark wouldn't bother me. I find it bizarre dealers don't use crash protection for demo bikes.

They're probably to lazy and keen to get the bike out on demo. Agree with you on GB covers.

Thanks for the replies.
Spoke with the dealer and it's circa ?400 to replace and wanted to go halves (which is prob fair but it's already past my budget).

i did consider the cover approach but it's still a few hundred ? and it only masks the issue (the mark is on the crease so not all protectors cover it - did see some very nice ilmberger? carbon but for both sides it's ?400+!) . Decided to walk away as it would just annoy me knowing it's there. The search continues!
appreciate the responses.

I have asked a few times if the bike has been dropped and been assured it hasn't been. Dealer said it's a mark possibly caused when the bike has been moved. No way of telling really. The fairings etc are the originals as far as I can tell. The mark is very small but it's still there all the same.

They stick out a bit - easily caught IMO.

I wasn't doubting it was a genuine scuff on probably another bike. Just a shame they couldn't sort it really as i was ready to part with my money!

i wouldnt walk away if the rest of the deal is good, as said engine covers will sort it even at a later date and loads come up s/h.. :)

i wouldnt walk away if the rest of the deal is good, as said engine covers will sort it even at a later date and loads come up s/h.. :)

that?s a fair point but it just doesn?t feel like the bike lives up to the premium selection mantra. Perhaps my expectations are just too high.

that?s a fair point but it just doesn?t feel like the bike lives up to the premium selection mantra. Perhaps my expectations are just too high.

Not really, plenty of fish in the sea, now is probably not the best time to be shopping. In a couple of months there will be more choice. Undamaged should be the baseline for any approved used imo. Really surprised that this is allowed tbh.

Thanks for the advice all. Ended up with a new Gen 4 sport. Best laid plans and all that !!

+1, congratulations on your new RR!
Shall look forward to seeing photos in due course!

Thanks all, Waiting for a date for the bike but it will be before the Sept reg at least.

Latest posts

Back