GPS Tracker

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleRDurham

Reaction score
So before my Scotland trip, I decided that just leaving my bike unattended in front of hotels wasn't sensible. I decided to take a chain with me, which I did, but I wanted to see whether I could come up with a longer term technical solution.

So I ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Time...221415?hash=item488d1e5827:g:y2wAAOSw2GlXKGRV

It cost me about ?17, and actually didn't arrive in time, but over the last couple of days I've been playing with it.

It fits under the rider's seat; there are four wires in the loom: 12V, Ground, Ignition, and a relay wire which can be used to ground a 12V relay, for example to cut a feed to the fuel pump, or similar. You need as a minimum 12V and Ground. There is a battery back-up which can keep the unit alive for a while, and it will alert you via SMS if the power is cut.

You basically stick a cheap PAYG SIM in it, and then program it with basic details using SMS messages; it's a bit fiddly until you learn the syntax, but having done one, I now know all the tricks.

It can alert you via SMS, phone call (you can then listen in to the surroundings) or both; and it will alert on movement, when a preset speed is exceeded, vibration/shock, power cut, or passing a geofence. There is a web-app and iPhone/Android tracking apps (again, once you've worked them out they're straightforward) which you can use to see the location, track a journey/course, see status, etc.

At any time you can text the unit for a location, its status, or to arm/disarm the unit. If it's disarmed it won't alert, armed it will. You can also do quite a lot of control with the online app and web-app. You can also turn on and off the relay (see above) and see ignition status etc.

Seems to be pretty good. Because it uses 2G, you can get a signal in most places on most networks although if there's somewhere particular you want it to work it'd be worth checking coverage. Also, on EE, 2G data (used for reporting its location to the webapp) doesn't seem to come out of your data allowance, so my ?10 a month 512Mb, unlimited texts SIM is perfect.

So in summary, well worth the <?20 it costs. A neat little unit which whilst cheap (and with somewhat testing Chinglish instructions) does what it's supposed for a lot less money than a 'proper' tracker.

If anyone else decides to take the plunge, I'll happily provide a step-by-step guide on programming in real English.

Thanks DoubleR I have been looking at these since my blade was stolen, there are so many available its a bit of a mine field.

Thanks DoubleR I have been looking at these since my blade was stolen, there are so many available its a bit of a mine field.

Well, I ended up buying another, as this one hadn't arrived. The one I bought second was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271927373664?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It was utter garbage - mostly because I didn't notice (and the advert slightly misleadingly doesn't make it that obvious) that it doesn't *actually* have GPS capability, and actually uses Location Based Services, which, in my experience with this item, didn't work at all. It constantly thought it was located outside a factory in China. The shock sensing capability worked, which I thought would be useful anyway, but after the first couple of times it work me up at random at 2am with constant phone calls to tell me my bike was moving (which it wasn't, it was right outside my tent and I checked) I blocked the number from my phone.

So just as a quick update since I've been reminded of this thread this evening, I finally got around to fitting this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Time...221415?hash=item488d1e5827:g:y2wAAOSw2GlXKGRV

to the bike at the weekend. It's hidden away well out of sight and is difficult to get to (obviously I won't say exactly where on open forum!). Wiring wise, it's fed constant and ignition switched power via the fuse box in the tail section and earthed to the frame. I haven't wired up an immobiliser relay to the fuel pump yet but I may do so in the future.

its working well, the bike's armed and texts/calls me if I shake it, turn the ignition on, or disconnect the power or battery. It knows where the bike is and I've tested geofencing so even if somehow it's picked up and moved without the shock sensor noticing, as soon as it goes more than a few metres from the centre of the geofenced area I get alerted.

All in all, well worth the 17 quid. I've also found a more cost effective PAYG tariff that only costs ?1 a month on EE, so happy days.

Time for tea and medals.

Soon as I read your earlier posts I knew it wouldn't work as the device triangulates with an accuracy of about a mile. eBay is flooded with these devices which are total crap I'm afraid to say. This is why I went ro Maplin and knew when they said their device is accurate to 3 metres it was the one for me. Are you sure your present device doesn't "triangulate" (GPRS) and not full GPS ? This is the one I use and can even find my lost drone which is only 10" square. It also comes with a bike/car charger.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gps-satellite-vehicle-tracker-a62tx

Last edited:
Soon as I read your earlier posts I knew it wouldn't work as the device triangulates with an accuracy of about a mile. eBay is flooded with these devices which are total crap I'm afraid to say. This is why I went ro Maplin and knew when they said their device is accurate to 3 metres it was the one for me. Are you sure your present device doesn't "triangulate" (GPRS) and not full GPS ? This is the one I use and can even find my lost drone which is only 10" square. It also comes with a bike/car charger.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gps-satellite-vehicle-tracker-a62tx

no, the second one I bought (since the one I'm using now didn't arrive in time) was crap, and used LBS. the one I have now uses GPS and has proved to be extremely accurate, to within a few metres. I've had it in my wife's car on test over the last month or so, and in my motorhome - I've been able to find the car using the tracking app down to the individual space in the supermarket car park, and was able to ring my dad whilst he was on holiday in the van and ask him how he was enjoying the view, which I could describe having found it on StreetView, from the lay-by he was parked in in the Scottish highlands.

i seem to have confused this post with my tale of the second device I bought which was utter crap. The original one I mentioned in post 1 and linked to in my previous post has proven excellent functionally and in value.

Just as a further note on this, this morning I adjusted my geofence setting to a five metre radius around the current 'home' position. Moving the bike from the garage to the end of my 9m driveway resulted in an immediate geofence alert, so the positioning is pretty accurate.

Fantastic mate, I was only checking. Like you say you have to do your homework.

Fantastic mate, I was only checking. Like you say you have to do your homework.
No offence taken! My own fault for not making things clear. I'm certainly very happy with the thing - I should have known better with the second one, but I was in a hurry and didn't read the ad properly.

I got caught as well mate. Bought one of those ?11.99 units which was accurate to a mile lol. The Maplin device contains its own battery which lasts about 4 days if the bike battery is disconnected which also helps when installed on the drone.

I got caught as well mate. Bought one of those ?11.99 units which was accurate to a mile lol. The Maplin device contains its own battery which lasts about 4 days if the bike battery is disconnected which also helps when installed on the drone.

Mm, mine was accurate to several thousand, constantly thought it was in China!

The one I'm using is good - if I had to change anything it'd be the size of the backup battery; it lasts about 8 hours with a position report every 20s, but I'd like it to live a bit longer with the power disconnected without having to slow the update rate down too much.

Mind, for use on the bike it does the job for ?17... and the tracking app and online portal are actually really good. Can't complain!

I went to buy that tracker but it's sold out. I can't see any real disadvantages over this to the likes of a biketrak

Perfect thanks :) is that the exact same as the one in the first link yeah? Looked at the maplin one but I think I prefer this one.

Well, I can't tell you that without buying one and taking it apart, but it certainly looks the same as the one I bought.

That's mine ordered :) The only thing is I work offshore so am going to use the app to check on it now and again. is it possible to change the admin with out programing the hole lot again? (I would set self up as admin and when I'm away from home set my mum up as admin)

Thanks in advance, Jordan

That's mine ordered :) The only thing is I work offshore so am going to use the app to check on it now and again. is it possible to change the admin with out programing the hole lot again? (I would set self up as admin and when I'm away from home set my mum up as admin)

Thanks in advance, Jordan

Yep, you can change the admin number at any time, but if you just want to check position you can send a 'WHERE' command from one of the SOS numbers and get a position back via SMS, or login via website.

In your situation, I'd set both you and your mum up as SOS numbers, that way you'll both get notified if the alarm state changes (i.e. movement, shock, speed, ignition on, power cut).

I haven't wired up an immobiliser relay to the fuel pump yet but I may do so in the future.

Sorry to ask again, however, I like the idea of calling / texting the device that can cut the fuel pump.... have you tried this...? With the number of thefts and bike jackings in the London area, ?20 is a fair shout if possible..

Sorry to ask again, however, I like the idea of calling / texting the device that can cut the fuel pump.... have you tried this...? With the number of thefts and bike jackings in the London area, ?20 is a fair shout if possible..

I've not wired it in to the S1K, but I have tested the wire to make sure it works. It acts as the ground to a relay's switching coil, so with a N/C relay you'd be able to turn on the fuel pump power feed using it. Alternatively, you could jack into the existing fuel pump relay, but I'd not do it that way, I'd add a second relay into the power feed.

Latest posts

Back