Going into neutral on down changes 2nd to 1st

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatstick

Reaction score
Hi All

Just been for a blast up into the Dales and must say the ABS is worth its weight in gold! Went into a corner a bit too hot, down a hill, tight right hander - off camber, over the crest and the ABS kicked in and I got round in one piece no dramas whereas my old GXSR K5 1000 would have been through the dry stone wall. So that is a big plus. But on a big negative later on, the bike went into a false neutral changing down hard into 1st gear at about 60-70 mph. It's about the fourth time this has happened and is getting a bit disconcerting! Wondered if anybody else had had the same problem or does somebody know if it is something that needs adjusting on the quickshifter or something else? The bike is totally standard with no levers or rear sets. It's a bit like what happened to Neil Hodgson on the TV when he was doing his lap of the moto gp circuit on Sunday.

Cheers,

Dean

Ye sorry 2015, unless u get It just right it just goes into neutral. is fine all other gears just 2nd to 1st.

Dean

Had it a few times myself. 1st to 2nd as well. The manual states you need to keep the selector in position until the change happens, so leaving a foot on the lever until you are sure its changed. Trouble is the rest is so slick with a tap on the lever I don't always do it as i should.

Ye same here all overs are slick, but does it just when you don't want it to when really pushing hard

Have to say, never had a need to change down into 1st at speed, 1st - 2nd nearly always use the clutch, the throw needs more time to engage

yeah i've had this happen to me a couple of times....once at pace approaching a bend :-/ ....i tried several times to get it from neutral into 1st coasting in to the corner...mild panic becoming substantial panic! ....it just wouldn't go in to 1st so i eventually gave up and changed down with the clutch at the last second ...phew! ...I think i was being a bit lazy (soft) with the downshift tbh and it seems it likes a good shove from 2nd to 1st. I've been very deliberate on my downshifts ever since and thankfully haven't had anymore issues. I've also been consciously ready to grab the clutch just in case the blipper lets me down!

I've also been caught out a few times with my fingers hovering over the clutch stopping the downblipper from working! oops....i find the slightest pressure on the clutch and the blipper won't work!

Overall i think it's great but needs a fair bit of getting used to!
Hope you manage to avoid anymore unwelcome moments! ;-)

Have to say, never had a need to change down into 1st at speed, 1st - 2nd nearly always use the clutch, the throw needs more time to engage
I agree and I won't need 1st at Almeria thankfully ��

I make you right . Changing into 1st from 70 gonna make the bike scream like a bitch

No we have a slipper clutch so should be fine and when breaking from well over 130mph down to a 30mph corner its a norm. up north anywhere.
its just odd that sometimes fine others not. bike has just covered 1400miles so might still be newness but in end started using the clutch for down changes and was fine.

Dean

Changing 2nd to 1st shouldn't be a problem but you MUST be positive with the gear lever and you MUST have the throttle fully closed.

Ye I thought I had on both, had it where not closed the throttle in the higher gears and it just will not change or as much of a problem as is still in a gear but when it goes into neutral you are fucked. Has only happened a handful of times.

Dean

Yup Baz is right , you may have a small dose of "fairy foot"
Do it myself sometimes when being complacent .
the ducati I ride is a real twat for it , its a bit like the buttons on the old ferguson video star , gotta bash the fuckers pretty firmly

Latest posts

Back