Fuel system cleaner

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
Although I doubt my 6k mile gen3 needs it, I have discovered that using normal unleaded makes the bike feel 'rougher' - seems to feel a bit more clanky, and assuming this isn't just my mind playing with me, I wondered (as the bikes should be able to run smoothly enough on 95 ron fuel) if something like this might help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CKQVK90UAMQF

I know back in the 80's & 90's adding redex and stp to tanks of shell ultra was a weekly maintenance item for all of us that liked big stereos, simoniz GT wax, and colouring the in the 'pirelli' letters on a set of part-worn 15" tyres with a white crayon, but the validity of such fuel tampering was never really proven. Before I go and splash what wasn't far from 1/2 a weeks wages on a bottle, does anyone have any constructive advise?

xx

I tested my bike on the dyno with sainsburys finest 95 ron (my normal tipple) and shell V power . It ran the same numbers on both

My HP4 goes about 20-30 miles further on Shell V Power before the fuel light comes on compared to standard fuel. I have used "Premium" fuel since I discovered that a couple of years ago, even in my tractor of a GS which would apparently run on old chip fat, lol.

JimmyMac

Toan that's useful info, because my mind may have also been swayed by the manual which recommends 98 Ron. I've had a perception too that it feels more eager than on 95. Happy to hear that isn't the case.

Acetone is a good additive for injection system cleaning you only need a very small amount you can steel the wifes nail varnish remover or use your own if your that way on a weekend

Does any of these "cleaners" eat into rubber seals and cause leaks though?

Toluene was the stuff for my Twin Turbo Supra's. 10% mix to a 60L tank of pre v-power SUL was about 100 octane and it cleaned well too.
But its a fecker to obtain and I've no idea if NA engines will accept it.
But no one ever achieves much with pissy bottle of so called cleaner.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
SUL is usually better at cleaning. Though Texaco Clean System 3 is damn fine too.
I tend to use SUL for the sake of a couple of quid. But if the station has none its not like I'll ride off again.

- Sent from Mobile

Theres a stuff here in Ireland called Diptane.
Its a fuel system cleaner.
I used some of it in my turbo diesel car and it caused 2 injectors to leak.

So thats why I was asking about these cleaners and rubber seals and injector seals.

I use this at least once a year, not sure whether it makes a difference or not but I've never had any problems.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-963-motul-fuel-system-cleaner.aspx

I have to keep loads of records for work/accounting and have done some long comparisons with premium fuels (mostly diesel in the van) and they almost always work out cheaper in the long run due to the increased economy. Sometimes by as much as 3p per mile!

If we're talking Diesels it is very beneficial to add low ash mineral based 2 stroke oil to the fuel

If we're talking Diesels it is very beneficial to add low ash mineral based 2 stroke oil to the fuel

Interesting, Got any links to help me understand this?

What sort of Quantities/Dilution?
What does it promote?
Why don't the fuel companies do it?

- Sent from Mobile

What does it promote?

- Sent from Mobile

Funnily enough it was BMW who did a vast amout of research on this it is on the web somewhere I don't have it to hand
Promotes smoother running better response longer pump life
I use 200 ml per tank full in my 2.4tddi transhit

What does it promote?

- Sent from Mobile

They do.

Or rather, the additives blended with certain 'cleaner' or 'high performance' diesel fuels bear a startling similarity chemically and in effect to a good quality modern 2T 'clean-burn' oil, although normally synthetic rather than dinoblend as the lubricant is more effective at high temperatures generated in the very high pressure injection rail on a CR diesel engine.

One of my customers is a big oil/fuel storage, blending and distribution business. They supply a LOT of road fuel (and they're the reason I won't pay extra for branded vs. premium petrol or diesel. Except Morrisons diesel - I don't use that as I know it doesn't come from the same tanks as all the others they supply).

Yeah - agreed Alex .. lots of good stuff in here - I reckon in the absence of anything to the contrary, I'll pod out the ?18 on that red stuff and see if it makes any significant difference.

Back