Front suspension loose - Help!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockets

Reaction score
Hi Lads,
Is anyone out there who may be able to help me? S1000RR 2012.
When stationary and rocking the front suspension with the front brake on there is a slight 'clunking' from what I think is the head stock.
There are 2 x 'c spanner type' nuts beneath the yoke and obviously one on top.
Is there a procedure to follow when attempting to adjust these?
Its in for a service next friday but am at Cadwell tomorrow on a 'road bike only' trackday with MSV!
I may be lucky if the suspension technician is there at Cadwell!
In the mean time any ideas please?
Thanks.

Hi, first make sure you are not confused by the brake pads knocking in the calipers, if you are still worried get some fingers below the yoke and make sure there is play before you touch anything, get good advice please, R B

Hi Bins,
Thanks for quick reply - that thought did cross my mind about the pads.
I did do the finger thing and couldn't feel any play near the headstock!
If I can get my hand on the front calipers would I feel the pads knocking do you think?
Thanks again.

Hi, you probably need another person to help, I see you are at B St Eds, I'm at Banham, near Snet' when are you going to Cadwell? I'll be working at home tonight, Baz is 4 miles up the road, if he's reading this he may come and give advice, he knows much more than me,, send a P M and I'll give my number, R B

Top man! Thank you.
My mate across the road has a 2011 S1000RR and his is doing the same so I reckon it must be calipers or damping making the noise?
My suspension is set harder than his and the clunking comes further down the fork travel which would make sense I guess?
We are leaving early t'row to get to Cadwell at 0730 - but I am chilled thanks.
If the suspension man is at Cadwell I may just get him to give it a look.
Thanks again Bins!

I would agree with Bins.

Please don't adjust the headstock,there is a set procedure to be followed.If you get it wrong you will get headshakes.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your day!

I'd put money on what Bananaman says. I've had a string of new bikes over the decades and they've all done it. A little bit of stiction from new forks may also add to it!

Back