First track day in 33 years !

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Dave

Reaction score
Well the title says it all, in 33 years of very varied motorcycling ( pretty slow in recent years) i have booked myself into the "novices" at Snetterton on monday 23rd March, get the RR serviced and limiter removed on the 20th !

Should be a really interesting day for me, with some saying why on earth would i do it now?, the only answer that comes to mind is "i want to live"

any suggestions on damping or is the BMW book about right at sort of 8 ish everywhere including the steering damper? i have set the sag etc, but have all the damping set on 3 atm for the bloody potholes.

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave. I did something similar with my bike with first service and trackday soon after. Amazing giving it the full beans properly for the first time on a track. Cant answer your suspension question, sorry. Enjoy the trackday!

Well the title says it all, in 33 years of very varied motorcycling ( pretty slow in recent years) i have booked myself into the "novices" at Snetterton on monday 23rd March, get the RR serviced and limiter removed on the 20th !

Should be a really interesting day for me, with some saying why on earth would i do it now?, the only answer that comes to mind is "i want to live"

any suggestions on damping or is the BMW book about right at sort of 8 ish everywhere including the steering damper? i have set the sag etc, but have all the damping set on 3 atm for the bloody potholes.

thanks

Dave
Hi Dave, I took mine on track for the first time on Saturday ( where I met Bannanaman.. top chap)
I set the suspension up exactly by the book for the track ( 2012 sport model ) with appropriate sag for me, and the bike felt like I was cornering on rails, absolutely spot on ! :triumphant: ... Ps. i'm running fast inters ( fast at lydden as its my home track)
Hope you have a good time at snett.

Hi Dave,as it is still cold in the mornings leave the suspension fairly soft until you are up to speed.Depending how hard you are braking you may need to add some compression to the forks.Gradually stiffen the bike over the course of the day.
I will be at Snet on the 23rd,in the fast group,if you need any help.

Hi Dave, I took mine on track for the first time on Saturday ( where I met Bannanaman.. top chap)
I set the suspension up exactly by the book for the track ( 2012 sport model ) with appropriate sag for me, and the bike felt like I was cornering on rails, absolutely spot on ! :triumphant: ... Ps. i'm running fast inters ( fast at lydden as its my home track)
Hope you have a good time at snett.
Hya buddy, good to meet you ! You wont have any trouble in fast group anywhere with that beast ! Everyone rides different, blades are different to gixers to aprilias to s1ks etc. See how it feels and adjust little at a time, tyre wear tells you a lot. Got yr spare caliper bolts yet? To lose that you need... :Banane56:

Well done Dave. I have been going to Almeria in Spain for my track fix, after many years of track days over here. If and when you can afford it, get yourself over to Spain, the quality and quantity of track time far outweigh's anything over here.

Hya buddy, good to meet you ! You wont have any trouble in fast group anywhere with that beast ! Everyone rides different, blades are different to gixers to aprilias to s1ks etc. See how it feels and adjust little at a time, tyre wear tells you a lot. Got yr spare caliper bolts yet? To lose that you need... :Banane56:

bolts should be in the letterbox by the time I get in :witless: .. they will be lockwired this time lol.

Hi Dave,as it is still cold in the mornings leave the suspension fairly soft until you are up to speed.Depending how hard you are braking you may need to add some compression to the forks.Gradually stiffen the bike over the course of the day.
I will be at Snet on the 23rd,in the fast group,if you need any help.

Thanks, most helpful.

Back