factory alarm fitted, but the led not flashing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apetrov1x5

Reaction score
Hi, I have fitted a factory BMW alarm (Gemel is the name I think).

When I press long (1 sec) the button 1 on the fob (the ribbed one), I hear 2 beeps. So that should mean the alarm is armed.

Then I long press button 2 on the fob (the smooth one), I hear 2 beeps. So the alarm should be disarmed.

However:
1) the indicators are not flashing when the alarm is armed/disarmed - 2 flashes for arm, 1 for disarm;
2) the led on the dash is supposed to blink red now and then, but it stays dead - never seen it blinking;
3) when armed, I tilt the bike from side to side and the alarm is NOT triggered.

Question is, does the alarm need to be initialized or set set somehow up after it was plugged in the under seat plug?
Is the high capacity battery absolutely necessary given that I am not planning to have alarm on for more than 12 hours? Could the alarm detect a weaker battery and not work because of this?

Any thoughts are welcomed - thank you!

Yes,it needs to go to the dealers for the bike to be told it has an alarm.You may also find that the bike will not accept your alarm because the alarm has been updated several times.If it is not compatible you may well end up with a higher labour charge because ,if the alarm is not compatible,it will likely disrupt the ecu functions which will entail re.programming.
You could possibly just leave it as it is and just use the movement sensor function.After all,the bike has it's own engine immobilizer via the coded key.

Yes,it needs to go to the dealers for the bike to be told it has an alarm.You may also find that the bike will not accept your alarm because the alarm has been updated several times.If it is not compatible you may well end up with a higher labour charge because ,if the alarm is not compatible,it will likely disrupt the ecu functions which will entail re.programming.
You could possibly just leave it as it is and just use the movement sensor function.After all,the bike has it's own engine immobilizer via the coded key.

thank you!

I was hoping someone has gone my route already and would know exactly what to do.
However, I will try to clarify the answers to the questions you are posing.

regarding the movement sensor - I tried tilting the bike from one side to another - no luck

Have you let the alarm set itself by just turning the ignition off?
Once set,it should activate when the bike is moved.
Perhaps you inadvertently put it in valet mode.

My movement sensor worked normally.

Have you let the alarm set itself by just turning the ignition off?
Once set,it should activate when the bike is moved.
Perhaps you inadvertently put it in valet mode.

My movement sensor worked normally.

did you retrofit the alarm yourself, or did it come from the factory?

I am sure I let it set itself, but will keep trying.

The alarm came off my other bike which I traded in.Unfortunately,being an earlier model the alarm had been superseded.If I had known I would have ordered one with the new bike.

so now your alarm works or not? did you have the dealer make it work or yourself?

thanks for the info!

When the dealer tried to activate the alarm it removed the ddc etc so the ecu had to be reset with the alarm disconnected.
As I am now using the bike on track,I have not re-connected it.However,I am confident it would still work as a motion alarm but that year alarm is not compatible with my bike.

Back