EU Travel and the GB Sticker

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dint have the badge within the number plate then yes you should, however a lot of cars and bikes don't bother
never heard of anyone being stopped for it.
On one of my tours I had a GB sticker on the top box but it did not stick very well and blew off, but did not have any probs.

The only law that has nearly caught me out and many are not aware of, is stopping at roundbouts. In France you must stop and put your foot down even if you can see it's clear. The French police will pick roundabouts with some cover and hide up to catch bikers and cars that dont stop.

Quick question re: travel in EU. Does the bike have to display a GB sticker?

Yes, or get a EU plate with the GB/EU emblem already on it. I wouldn't give the cops on the continent any excuses to pull you over.

I just checked via search, if you want to switch to from MPH to KPH for the tour then you need to visit a dealer! :(

Thanks guys for the info. I was of the impression the switch to KPH could be done on the >2015, must be thinking of the Blade I had.

Purely for aesthetics my original plate had a white back to it and as the bike was all black I had another plate made up with a black back so it matched the bike. The dealer supplied plate didn't have the GB/euro emblem on it and I didn't specify it on the new plate either. I'll probably end putting a sticker on it.

If you dint have the badge within the number plate then yes you should, however a lot of cars and bikes don't bother
The only law that has nearly caught me out and many are not aware of, is stopping at roundbouts. In France you must stop and put your foot down even if you can see it's clear. The French police will pick roundabouts with some cover and hide up to catch bikers and cars that dont stop.

I was in France at the weekend. I learned two things, only one relevant to the quoted post:
1. If you need to use the BMW puncture repair kit, those three gas canisters only give you 1.0 bar of pressure
2. More relevant is this - I was staying at a (bike friendly) B&B in the Somme that I have used a few times. The owner was saying that he recently had a UK bike cop staying, and that the guy was outraged when a french cop did him for not putting TWO feet down at a Stop sign.... the UK cop made loads of enquiries to make sure that this was correct, turns out it is.......

Last edited:
I know..and what if you're on an incline and want to cover the brake etc etc.... French motorcycle laws have never made sense, no point in questioning it, just be aware of it.

I should have mentioned that the UK cop was not alone when he got done, and the enquiries through the local bike community got back to the actual officer who issued the €90 ticket. All he said was he felt he'd done the group a favour by only doing one of them..................

Hi Bill, stuck these on mine when I took a trip to Poland, French Cops were having a good look at it at the services but didn't ask me anything, maybe they were just bikers doing their day job.

As Soof says best not giving them an excuse to pull you over.

Enjoy your trip.

JimmyMac

Back