Engine Rattle - 2015 RR, 4 months old!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwakstak

Reaction score
Hey there, picked up my new 2015RR at end of March, had first 600m service done and now have just under 5000m on the clock. However it's developed a horrible rattle from the engine. (Oil level is fine). Taking it to dealer on Friday, but just wanted to be armed. I've seen on the .com forum that there have bee problems with engines. I have a video clip of noise and white stuff that's appeared on the frame and will try to upload here. ANy suggestions/help gratefully received.

OK can't upload video to this site as haven't got the right 'credentials' or other accounts that they use. Let me know though if your interested in receiving it privately. But as i said, any help gratefully received.

We don't host videos as they chew bandwidth, but if you post to youtube you can embed on here.

Tbh rattles and noises are hard to diagnose on a forum.

They tend to be agricultural engines and 'boxes...

- Sent from Mobile

I have a friend that suffered from an exhaust valve rattle on his S1 which initially started as just on warm up but gradually progressed to pretty much constantly. Headers were eventually replaced by BMW.

Think he was concerned about the bm technicians and the salesmen agreed he had brand new one with in a week . He's not on site anymore

I've taken my 15 plate to 2 dealers one said its fine one said need looking at more. Gonna take it to an other dealer to check

My first bike was replaced with several problems, one of them being a rattling engine.
It Sounded awful, like a sick Ducati.

I thought it was a bm thing & tried to ignore it however it got progressively worse. However dealer initially said nothing wrong until id recorded earlier for a friend to listen to & after your comments im seriously worried now!

By the way, if your taking it to a 3rd dealer go to maidenhead or alton, it may benefit both of us, just a thought!!

OK outcome; turns out it was the 2 valves on the standard exhaust. Dealer has replaced the exhaust from header to end can and it seems to be fine now and no more rattling!!!!!!!

Umm interesting stuff I reported a constant ticking noise at low revs at the first service and was told it was fine, I can now hear the noise upto about 4000rpm it makes the engine sound really rough and to be honest is spoiling the whole BMW experience, iIt would stop me buying another one. I'm going to get mine booked back in and be persistent that I want it fixed its not exceptsble for a modern engin to sound like mine does.

Umm interesting stuff I reported a constant ticking noise at low revs at the first service and was told it was fine, I can now hear the noise upto about 4000rpm it makes the engine sound really rough and to be honest is spoiling the whole BMW experience, iIt would stop me buying another one. I'm going to get mine booked back in and be persistent that I want it fixed its not exceptsble for a modern engin to sound like mine does.
I know exactly where you are coming from Javlin. My 15 sounds really awful tbh. The servcie desk at my dealer said it was normal. With 4000 miles on it i shall be going back before the 2 years are up. Two sets of ear plugs sorts it out mind you.

If it is the exhaust valves which I think mine is it would be interesting to know do they all do it and can it be fixed. If it can its not acceptable for BMW not to sort it, if anyone one on this forum had the problem but has now got it sorted it would help the rest of us argue the case while our bikes are still under warranty

Back