Considering changing my blade for the 2015 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry but I don't have the S1000RR but went for a test ride today of the new RR with DDS and sport pack.

I absolutely loved it and now considering buying one. I currently have a 2009 fire blade with full Yoshi system and custom dyno with superb mid range grunt.

has anyone changed from a blade to the S1000RR but would also welcome as unbiased opinions as possible please??😄😄😄😄

thanks in advance

Re: S1000RR 2015 Seat Cowl Fitting Mod

Hi all. I'm still running in my new 2015, simply can't wait for the limiter to be removed next Friday. The bike is great - fast even when limited.

Took a bit of getting used to as I came over from Blades, which I've ridden for years....had an 06, an 07, an 08, and then my last 09 HRC. Although the S1K has and similar feeling geometry, its very different, but I absolutely love it already! Roomy, fast, smooth...and loads of technogadgets :)

Suspension setup was fun, couldnt set up the rear sag easily but I'm now on +2 front and rear, feels great.

One area I didn't like was the rear seat fitting, so one of first mods was to see what I could do about it. Turns out that it's pretty simple to get the cowl to fit well.

You need a straight price of plastic extrusion, 30mm x 5mm, 1 meter lengths are available in white from B&Q. Cut two 52mm rectangles, and drill holes in these 12mm from one end.

1. Remove the cowl
2. Remove the two screws holding the metal hinge, and remove the hinge bracket and the two washers
3. Fit the two plastic rectangles in place of the bracket using the existing screws, so that they form two prongs that slip into the tail body, under the lip.

Job done! Refit the cowl, it's now firmly in place with no unsightly gap!

I'll pop up some photos if I can work out how to do it if and anybodies interested.

Cheers
Richie
Hi Ritchie

like yourself I have a Repsol 09 blade with Yoshi and PC with remap for great mid range grunt. I took the new S1krr for a test ride today with 200 miles on the clock so still limited and really want one now.

what were the main differences you have found and what hasn't been as you had hoped please?

steve

If you'be ridden blades for a while, then you'll know what I mean when I say that they are telepathic...a well set up blade is sublime.....shove the bars, drop it on its side, hit the apex, use the mid range to grunt out of corners whilst loving that feeling of the rear tyre being buried on rails in the tarmac...superb, a great track bike that's also great on the road, it couldn't get any better....or so I thought.

The S1000RR is simply in a different league. The Blade always needed a little more shove anyway, right from the off. IMHO the 08 really needed more power and that theme continues right up until today....the trouble for Honda is that the competition has moved on, and they've not seemed to keep pace or wanted to look after their customers in Europe; take the crankshaft recall, for instance, which applied only to US customers.

My new S1000RR seems to be better in almost every area. The engine is bloody fantastic, with no choppyiness or lag from the ride by wire, the power it makes even when limited is smooth and licence-losing on the road, and it pops and burbles and sounds truly awsome!

You have to consider tooling...I've built up over the years a pretty extensive set of manuals, parts catalogues, tools and knowledge..if you do your own fettling I'm sure you know what's significant about 84 ft lbs, or what the best base settings for your blade are.

Well that stuff does translate, but what's cool, the S1000RR manual is pretty good in helping to learn the new bike as well. I did find that it's taken me a lot longer to dial in then I thought it would, and its not been quite so easy to hold a line. So far I've only done 700 miles on mine, and I really could do with getting a few hundred miles on track, but no can do as it's still in its running in period. If you buy new, at first it 'feels' heavier, until you get right settings dialled in and things loosen up. And, it seems to feel better and better the more miles I do!

Also I've been experimenting with different settings, all at the click of a few buttons and DDC, how cool is that? You really can feel the changes made, and its actually quite nice to be learning something new.

Then there's the quick shifter which is completely addictive, the DTC to bail you out, different modes, abs.... going back to a blade now might feel, well, a little agricultural, I think.

On balance, there are a few things that were surprising...the frame gets quite hot, and this radiates into the footpegs and on hot days my feet have cooked a little...but I'm sure that on cool days that's going to be alright. BMW's prices for some things can make your hair curl. And on the road I forget I have a quick shifter and keep using the clutch!

So, if you are willing to re-learn and forgive a few foibles then I'd say go for it! Seemed to be a natural evolution for me, anyway.

Can I be the first to say welcome to the S1000RR club :)

It seems half the members are ex-'blade owners. The midrange isn't as good as the blade and the whole thing isn't as smooth. But that's where it ends. Everything else is on another planet.

Re: Blade to S1000RR

Do it, even thou my RR is having problems (Friday afternoon bike) I'm still getting another one.
i came from a 12 blade which I replaced from a 10 plate, the 12 has much better suspension than the 10, but the RR is far superior to the blade in every way as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Sherlock, Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't be unbiased, last non BMW bike I owned was a Yamaha DT 50 in 1986, when I was 17!!

Can tell you though, in May 2013 my mate bought his 13 plate Blade two days after I bought my HP4, we swapped rides for an afternoon and I loved the way the blade felt in particular its slipper clutch. My buddy, who is a bit more of a fast road rider thought his blade felt like a dinosaur compared to the BMW.

Its horses for courses and if you only ride on the road you can hammer the speed limit in first gear on either bike?

Nice to say hello.

JimmyMac

Re: Blade to S1000RR

I had an 09 then a 12 20th anniversary which I sold and ordered my 15 motorsport without test riding one. I absolutely love it. It's a totally different beast from the blade though. RR is not as easy to ride as the blade was but once you dial yourself into the RR it's superb. I can't really describe what I mean by dialling yourself in but I know what I mean ! Go for it you won't regret it , it's an amazing bike which the blade is as well but this is worth it.

I just sold my 06 Fireblade, had a pc2 on her and akrapovic end can, up on the dyno and she was pushing 175bhp on the rear wheel, great bike to ride!!

Was time to change and I was on the look out, a mate has a gixser which I found her snatchy and my brothers R1 is beast to ride, so when I saw an RR sale for the right money a went for it!! I just couldn't believe how easy it was to ride! The cornering is so smooth with the traction control and the late breaking that it gives you is second to none, the power from top, mid and bottom is so together!!

It's definitely the best motorbike on the market!!

I went from 09 ABS Blade to 13 HP4. To me its a better bike everywhere. Handling, power, electronics, looks (subjective I know), mid range (feels like my old K5), brakes. Its as comfortable as the Blade too. The Blade was brilliant, I loved it, incredibly clever design made it simple and superb. The BM is just the evolution as I see it.

Thanks Wave, and all of you truly helpful and glad you're enjoying the bike. Have made my mind up and will be ordering one :redface-new:

Thanks Wave, and all of you truly helpful and glad you're enjoying the bike. Have made my mind up and will be ordering one :redface-new:
You won't regret it! ;) ....i came from a 2014 blade...it was a brilliant bike but the 2015 BM is like riding something out of the future in comparison. Makes the blade feel like a 10yr old bike!

Latest posts

Back