Clutch action feels odd

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronners

Reaction score
I have been riding my k1300s (Hydraulic clutch) for years and since getting my s1000rr I find the clutch action really odd. It is difficult to explain but it feels as though their are 2 bite points. Initially i can feel a slight resistance and it is defiantly starting to bite but as i feed the throttle in it starts to slip and i need to release the clutch more I feel a second bite and away I go.

It is difficult to describe, but it makes pulling away from junctions and light a sometime jerky 2 step affair. Popping the clutch out quickly works fine, but I was so used to feeding the clutch out gently when starting off on the k1300. I can't remembering feeling this on the demo bike, but I had so much to take in an can't remember much other than light weight and relentless power.

Is this normal for cable operated clutches or s1000rr or both?

I got off a K1300R and on to an HP4 and stalled it 3 times when leaving the dealership on my first outing lol.

The clutch has an initial bite but then requires more throttle before clutch release. It's a different feeling from the k bike but was easy to adapt to. If you keep having difficulties you could try adjusting the bite point with the thumb adjuster.

I had a K for two years and that took some getting used to, but when I picked up my S I found it had no bite what so ever, didn't really notice it as I rode home as it was all motorway but as I approached home and had a few hill starts it became more apparent.
Even after playing with the adjuster there was no bite until the lever was fully out, after getting after market levers this went away but fitting the clutch side was a faff had to undo cable at gearbox end to allow new lever enough slack to refit onto bar-all good in the end though and proper bite now.

I know exactly what you mean as I notice that on my 15 Gen 3 RR too.
As Soof says it requires you to feed more throttle in once you reach that first bite point to pull away smoothly. Alternatively I find if you increase the revs a bit more then necessary you can get a smooth launch too.

Might be worth checking how much clutch free play you have too as I find it harder to modulate when there is excess free play

Back