Cleaning forged wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't cleaned the wheels on my bike yet but all previous bikes WD40 and this one will be no different.

I used WD 40 on my forged wheels and black residue was on the cloth. The wheels were power washed then hand washed/ brushed beforehand.
In saying this, my wheel finish wasn't right (along with the other list)
Might just have been mine but will check with the new set.

Loupe , I never wash my wheels. Only water on my wheels is what goes on with the hose , I dry that off then on with the WD.

I'm sure it's absolutely fine to put it on but thought id forewarn you what happened with mine.
Its a really strange paint finish which they have out on, much prefer the gloss finish tbh.

I would not use WD-40 on painted anything . It has a petroleum base. It is too caustic for that. I would use BMW wheel cleaner gel and water. Wd-40 works well for cleaning the chain though.

Well...
Dont use any cleaning solution on the forged wheels is the official advice from BMW.
Run a clean dry cloth over them and dry them.
Fortunately ill have a new set on a new bike next week, don't come crying to me when they refuse to replace them or charge 40p/ mile to do so lol

What about sealants/waxes when they are new/clean? Do they say anything about them?

When I picked up the demo bike tonight, I spoke with the service manager and he gave me the heads up on what he had been told by BMW.
NO, cleaning fluids or anything else has to be used on the forged wheels, I asked about tar residue but a clean cloth with water and then dry it off is the advice I was given.
Don't shoot the messenger :livid:

ive waxed my wheels and then I either just wipe them over with a dry cloth if they are just dusty or a spray bottle with water if they need a clean

I can see these wheels being a problem for a lot of people in the near future. Especially if weights are used on the outside if required. Taking the weights off would be a challenge without marking the finish.
My rear tyre didn't require weights when replaced and I asked if they could be put on the inside of the wheel if it needed any but the tyre fitter wasn't keen.
Not quite sure who would replicate the finish if they needed to be done?

I've had my hp4 standard from new now for 12 months and I only use wd40 on wheels to clean them and they come brand new every time , highly recommend it .

I can see these wheels being a problem for a lot of people in the near future. Especially if weights are used on the outside if required. Taking the weights off would be a challenge without marking the finish.
My rear tyre didn't require weights when replaced and I asked if they could be put on the inside of the wheel if it needed any but the tyre fitter wasn't keen.
Not quite sure who would replicate the finish if they needed to be done?

TBH, it sounds like a c**p finish they are trying to excuse... the wheels are relatively cheap for cast items. Think I'd rather spend the rest on OZ Cattiva Mag's or Titax's

Muc-Off

Muc-Off Motorcycle Degreaser works well on HP Forged Wheels. I've been using it for the last few months with no ill-effects and its biodegradable.

Back