Chain cleaner

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
best is sometimes expensive, but best within price and availability is without question paraffin (kerosene) on rags or soft brush then left to dry.
it will not damage any O ring that I have come across in my path as an engineer.

Dave

I just de greased mine with " gunk" to remove the monumental amount of grease applied by the dealer!
They must have shares in the company as it was caked in the stuff, was everywhere.
Ive noticed several links are rusting already when I removed it all.
Steel wool to remove it?

Cheers loupe notice some rust on a few links will get some steel wool today đź‘Ť

What's the best chain cleaner Thx guys đź‘Ť
Once I had removed the factory white grease, I always spray liberally with WD40 straight after a wash, then soak off the excess with toilet roll to reduce bodywork spray when riding. No rust in over a year. Dealer mechanic (25 yrs+ BMW) gave me this little insight, wasn't too sure at first, but it certainly works and is easy to apply. Get a can with the little red tube to direct the spray.

Thx for the info guys have use the muc off stuff for cleaning bike so might give it a try đź‘Ť

I use the wd40 motorcycle chain cleaner product followed by wurth dry lube. The rust is surface stuff and wipes off. I clean and oil my chain before cleaning, my logic is that oil and water don't mix, so a wet chain won't take the lube as well as a dry one, and the lube helps stop water penetration.

Hi,
best is sometimes expensive, but best within price and availability is without question paraffin (kerosene) on rags or soft brush then left to dry.
it will not damage any O ring that I have come across in my path as an engineer.

Dave

+1

WD40 on a rag to clean the real gunk off. Then chain cleaner to take the WD40 off. Rust? Try a Dremel with a wee brass brush. Then Wurth dry chain lube. Job done.

I used to use the wurth dry lube, but decided to try the Motul C1, C4 & C5 as i found some selling fairly cheap on ebay. Was very impressed in its ability to remove the factory crud on my 2014 S1000RR, spray it on, leave it 10 mins then wipe off. The C4 is a thin film spray that dries in half an hour or so, I then rubbed in a good coating of the C5 paste. Been out today on a fairly steady run with the Mrs on the back and there's very little evidence of it flinging off- Very impressed, think I'll stick with this combo now. :)

The only issue I have had with the wurth stuff is someone from the dealership gave me a bit of a telling off for having a very dry chain last time the bike was in. They very kindly rectified their mis diagnosis by covering my chain with their bmw gunk, Ffs.

The only issue I have had with the wurth stuff is someone from the dealership gave me a bit of a telling off for having a very dry chain last time the bike was in. They very kindly rectified their mis diagnosis by covering my chain with their bmw gunk, Ffs.

I'm laughing but I can just see my bike coming back after the first service caked in the chain gunk which took me a while to remove.

Thx for all the info guys bought wd40 chain cleaner and my friend has 10 large cans of wurth dry lube so buying that from him for 50 quid as he has no bike at the moment Thx again đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I picked up 2 count 500 mil cans of Wurth Dry from some geezer on EB for 14 quid delivered last month.

From memory I think thats cheaper than the trade account prices...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back