Can you fit alpha or crc track fairings to a bike with the standard exhaust?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckean

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i want to buy an S1000rr to do Trackdays with and also to race occasionally. Whilst I would love the weight saving of a race system and the extra power (not sure it needs it though) I can't be arsed with the hassle with noise limits at uk circuits (and Spa Francorchamps which is even tighter)

so has anyone fit CRC or Alpha race fairings and kept the standard exhaust? It looks a tight fit, does it touch and melt them?

bike is probably going to be a 17 plate model, incase that matters

cheers

neil

The cat is too big for race fairings.
But you could modify them / chop the back off the undertray.

The undertray still needs to be race compliant. Hold oil at water etc etc.

Are there any race systems that are super quiet or allow refitting of the standard can for Trackdays??

Most race days in the UK are loud. 105+. So I don't see them as a blocker - the normal Akrapovič full system will be completely fine. And for track days which are a bit quieter, the same but with the baffle fitted should be ok too.

If you were trying to do <101db static you may need a custom fit end can from someone like MHP in Southend.

I was told Phil Crowe could supply an Arrow system for the 2017 model at a decent price and Prime Factors recommended to just have stainless headers to keep cost down. Bit heavier than titanium ones but no different wrt power or noise. I've also been told that with baffles in, the Arrow long end can will pass most UK tracks dB testing and so will the Akrapovic full system.

Fairings wise, to fit a race fairing with the standard exhaust you need to cut out space in the bellypan for the cat. One of the lads at Aragon had his smouldering as it was cut a bit too close! Yoou would probably need to do further work to create a partition and remain within ACU regs for drip tray capacity.

Race Fairings & Exhausts

I would highly recommend any of the Akrapovič full systems for the 2015+ model. If you are concerned about trackday noise testing then it would be preferable to fit the older style Akrapovič full length exhaust and not the newer version which features a more tapered design and is slightly slimmer. Performance wise they are identical but the former is much quieter and will pass both static or drive-by noise testing with ease. I have a HP Race Power Kit (Akrapovič full system) fitted on my track bike and I've never had an issue on either 98, 102 or 105 dB trackdays.

As for Arrow exhausts, I would personally avoid their Competition full system. Whilst it is fine for race use, as it meets the 105 dB race noise limit, it is too loud for most trackdays. Arrow do make other systems with longer exhausts which do pass 102 dB noise limits and are also much cheaper. This is especially useful if you want to use the bike on trackdays for practice prior to an event without the risk of failing noise testing.

If you do intend to go racing I would personally fit a full exhaust system as you will likely struggle to find any race fairing bellypan that will accommodate the catalysts. Those from both alpha Racing and CRC will not fit with the standard exhaust system fitted. You would need to modify the bellypan extensively, especially to fit a 2017 model OEM exhaust, and after doing so you may struggle to still comply with ACU regulations.

Latest posts

Back