Brake issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually make that just under 1mm <

So there it is, your problem. For the moment you do not have to change brake pump or calipers,just a simple change of brake pads and maybe fresh brake fluid.Try a more track oriented brake pad like Versah SRJL XX, Brembo SC or even better RC. I do not think Z04 is necessary for the moment. Also something very very serious. When you go for a trackday, for your safety and to have fun, try to make a list that has some things need to be checked. In this way you will stay safe AND have fun.

The demo bike I rode had the same problem with the span adjuster as you have. I like my lever to be as far out as possible, but the actual adjuster kept returning to it?s minimum position. The first time I thought it was me, but it wasn?t. It?s a bit of a shock arriving at a corner with the lever not where you?re expecting it. J

What was up with them?
They were bedded in on the road but when I went to use them on track at Snetterton the lever travel was way more than expected. I was squeezing but just not getting what I expected out of them.

Some of it will be down to being used to other pads, but it completely threw me on the day. I was also using new oem rotors on the HP wheels which were fitted when the pads went in.

I just couldn't feel it slowing down till I grabbed what felt like a panic brake amount of lever travel. So braking zones became a bit tense.

I put the Z04's and my old Supersport discs back on (by swtiching to my Titax rims) and everything was normal and it wanted to have me off over the handlebars again (another trait I must dial out [emoji1787] )

I will try them again where the braking zones are smaller.

- Alex

So there it is, your problem. For the moment you do not have to change brake pump or calipers,just a simple change of brake pads and maybe fresh brake fluid.Try a more track oriented brake pad like Versah SRJL XX, Brembo SC or even better RC. I do not think Z04 is necessary for the moment. Also something very very serious. When you go for a trackday, for your safety and to have fun, try to make a list that has some things need to be checked. In this way you will stay safe AND have fun.
The demo bike I rode had the same problem with the span adjuster as you have. I like my lever to be as far out as possible, but the actual adjuster kept returning to it?s minimum position. The first time I thought it was me, but it wasn?t. It?s a bit of a shock arriving at a corner with the lever not where you?re expecting it. J
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've been to Croft today, same problem with the adjuster.
Probably time to call BMW.

Thanks again.

Ian

It?s higher revs that does it. The ident spring isn?t strong enough. I?ve seen rear shock preload collars unwind on inline 4?s before on track. Big twins affect certain things and 4?s affect other things because the difference in vibration and cross plane or Big Bang V4?s all have there own vibration quirks.

It?s higher revs that does it. The ident spring isn?t strong enough. I?ve seen rear shock preload collars unwind on inline 4?s before on track. Big twins affect certain things and 4?s affect other things because the difference in vibration and cross plane or Big Bang V4?s all have there own vibration quirks.
How on earth do you know that? Some of the knowledge and advice on this forum is staggering.

Thanks for the explanation Jamie. Very Much Appreciated.

Ian

Is there any mileage in full akra? I had a slip on Project SC Conic on my gen 3, I absolutely loved it. I'd like to try a full system..........but they are costly.

Like the model R1 that would unscrew it's oil filter if you went for a top speed run.

Turns out the sustained high revs has a weird vibration. From what I gather was only top speed runs would do it

I suppose it?s how my brain works. Self taught on riding Inc racing, mechaniching, technology, history etc. My brain sucks up info yet I can?t remember what I ate yesterday. I raced for a good while, 3 years contracted to Honda in British Championship. I also built my bikes and ?lent? them to Hizzy, Foggy etc. Carl?s only win in the world in ?91 was on my bike. Steve H won the Supersport 600 TT on my bike. Helped out lots of well known riders. I train people in TV for Apple, Adobe etc and do a lot of technical support. I?m always thinking when I?m doing something, I look at it and think why has it been designed that way. What the coatings are and can I make it better. I do about 40,000 miles a year on bikes and every time I think about every part of the bike and how it feels and how my riding is. You can ride the same bike in the same weather one day and it feels fantastic, the next day it?ll feel like crap. That?s down to how you feel that day. How you got out of bed. I?ve learnt something every time I?ve ridden in my life. I love working on bikes as much as riding them. Weirdly I couldn?t give a crap about cars. They do nothing for me and I hate working on them. It amazes me what the likes Newton, Archimedes and da Vinci could think of. J

Hey, watch GP bikes chatter... Rossi was the first to actually apply throttle whilst braking as the top chain run would tighten and the chatter would lessen. Clever guy.

I suppose it?s how my brain works. Self taught on riding Inc racing, mechaniching, technology, history etc. My brain sucks up info yet I can?t remember what I ate yesterday. I raced for a good while, 3 years contracted to Honda in British Championship. I also built my bikes and ?lent? them to Hizzy, Foggy etc. Carl?s only win in the world in ?91 was on my bike. Steve H won the Supersport 600 TT on my bike. Helped out lots of well known riders. I train people in TV for Apple, Adobe etc and do a lot of technical support. I?m always thinking when I?m doing something, I look at it and think why has it been designed that way. What the coatings are and can I make it better. I do about 40,000 miles a year on bikes and every time I think about every part of the bike and how it feels and how my riding is. You can ride the same bike in the same weather one day and it feels fantastic, the next day it?ll feel like crap. That?s down to how you feel that day. How you got out of bed. I?ve learnt something every time I?ve ridden in my life. I love working on bikes as much as riding them. Weirdly I couldn?t give a crap about cars. They do nothing for me and I hate working on them. It amazes me what the likes Newton, Archimedes and da Vinci could think of. J

That?s quite a cv. Thankyou for sharing and thankyou for your contributions.

Jamie, that explains an awful lot! As commented already........one hell of a CV.
Ian
PS Do you have a top tip for bleeding brakes?

Latest posts

Back