BMW Softbag 2 Large

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsp

Reaction score
I've had a couple of PMs asking m about the Softbag 2 that's shown on my Avatar, so if it's useful and for future reference (and if anyone has any additional tips for me), here is some info on how I fit it...

Firstly, I have to say how brilliant this bit of kit is and I can fully recommend it, especially if you only have one or 2 trips a year, like me and you don't want to fork out hundreds (mine cost just £70 from eBay). It's so good that my mate with a new Gixxer has bought one and tried to cover up the BMW logo.:smug:

I have a 2011 bike with the larger rear end. Hopefully the pics below explain most things on how I fit/use it, but basically:

1. I take off my painted seat cowl and fit the original seat (a tad obvious), with the BMW log & zipped pocket facing rearward. The OEM seat provides all the grip, cushioning and protection needed to the complete bottom of the bag, i.e. I have never used any additional protective matting on the top as it doesn't need it.
  2. I use 2 of the small length straps to wrap around the same sided rear indicator arms - I have a D3 Components tail tidy fitted, which is solidly built. The straps clear the paintwork, but just in case on long journeys, I stick a bit tape along the edge (by the tail-light), in case of any possible small movement.
  3. A medium sized strap on the front right hand site of the bag attaches to the frame/bar near the rear foot hanger bolts. The strap feeds directly up the inside the edge of my seat (wider on the 2011) to look really neat.
  4. A large sized strap on the front right hand side of the bag attaches to the frame where the rear foot hanger bolts to the bike - you need the longer one one this side, as there is an extra bit of black frame in the way. Again, this strap feeds directly up the inside the edge of my seat.
  5. I don't use the built-in strap on the very bottom of the bag, as it doesn't fit with the built-in seat lock on the S1k (my mate uses it on his Gixxer tho, as it has a remote seat release mechanism).

IMG_7263.jpg covered+no+plate.JPG IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7258.jpg

When I pull up anywhere, it's so quick and easy to release the 4 catches, leaving the straps still in place on the bike and easy to refit again.
The only one addition that I think I might get is one of those Xena disc locks with a built in movement sensor activated alarm. With a bit of cable, this would allow me to lock the bag to the bike and alarm it at the same time, so I could leave it on there in situ in some places.:apthy:

Thanks for this. Good idea to do a thread.

I also vouch for the softbag2 being a great piece of kit. How would you secure it to the bike? I've not come up with a good way yet.

from the pictures it looks as though there could be upwards pressure on the seat from the straps underneath trying to straighten. Does that happen?

from the pictures it looks as though there could be upwards pressure on the seat from the straps underneath trying to straighten. Does that happen?

I've done 2000+ miles on it like this and it doesn't move on my bike - I think that the bottom of the bag grips on the seat material and so, with the 4 straps pulling it down, it's rock solid :)

Maybe put a small padlock through the 2 zips pulls that meet (2nd picture down) then thread or secure a security cable to the padlock and onto a fixed part of the bike.

Yes, I have a small padlock that secures some of the zips (not all), which I forgot to mention. My thoughts on the Xena were that it would be alarmed too ....plus I want one for my bike anyway, as that doesn't have any alarm device fitted to it.

Hi Guys,

Is this the bag you are talking about? I need to sort out some luggage for a trip next week!!! http://shop.bmw-motorrad.com/Bags-rucksacks/BMW-Softbag-2-large-55-l-psc-77%2049%207%20708%20879-ab.gMkqlBkEAAAE0udJtTecS-UXCOM-WFS-en_EU-EUR.html;pgid=cYhgCHacbi1SR0E0rVk0IoE40000HaBOr8Ju;sid=Wlb6zG3PEBdfzj7ARn_cll9vmweRsqRcbMs=

I've just been into Willams Manchester, and had a look at all the options. They had all the luggage available in there - rr specific, and the softbags. They let me fit the softbag 2 large (55ltr) and it seemed ok -but I wasn't convinced.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

Ps - s1000rr 2013

Thank you, topic starter for the pictures. I have used the bag now for about 2k trip and I can report that:
-if the front straps don't go under the front seat, the bag slides forward all the way (still ok, but not rock solid)
-the front strap had its threads torn and the bag was still on the bike on 3 straps only - still ok though!!! Could it be because of the heat from exhaust (unlikely I think, but it was the strap which was above the exhaust)????
-by that time, I was in Munich already and the Zentrum agreed to change both front straps for free as the bag was bought 2 day ago in London, so still under warranty.

Latest posts

Back