Bike won't start from 2nd, but starts fine from 1st or 3rd

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apetrov1x5

Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while since I had any issues with my 2010 S1000RR.

Last week a car swerved into me, its front bumper hit my right bobbin engine protector.
There are some scratches on the said bobbin and right side fairing.

Otherwise, I was fine and rode home. Next day also went for a ride, all good.

3 days latter, the bike would refuse starting from second gear, but starts from first and third.

Anyone knows what could lead to such a strange behaviour?

Not sure why you're starting in gear, to even find that issue! But anyway, I assume N works too?

All the gear position sensors are on the LHS so it's definitely a strange one.

Not sure why you're starting in gear, to even find that issue! But anyway, I assume N works too?

All the gear position sensors are on the LHS so it's definitely a strange one.
N does not work either.

I continued testing and maybe once in 10 tries the start button will work when in second or neutral. In first and third it work every time.

Funny enough I washed the bike the day before accident, but I don't think the start button can be to blame for this, because the 1 and 3 works. If it would be water damage to the start button, no gear would work....very strange one...

check the gear positon sensor on the side of the engine, it's on the left hand side above the front sprocket-ish. had an issue with mine ion the past, try moving the cable+tapping the sensor.

is neutral ligth showing when it's actually in N?

check the gear positon sensor on the side of the engine, it's on the left hand side above the front sprocket-ish. had an issue with mine ion the past, try moving the cable+tapping the sensor.

is neutral ligth showing when it's actually in N?
will try, thank you.

Yes, green light is ON when in neutral.

Has there been a whack near the clutch cable/engine?
the bike was hit by the car (bumper) on the right side of the bike, but the plastic (lower half of the fairing) did not crack, just scratched.
The engine protection bobbin is also scratched.

"You should have seen the other guy"

1717090702738.png

the bike was hit by the car (bumper) on the right side of the bike, but the plastic (lower half of the fairing) did not crack, just scratched.
The engine protection bobbin is also scratched.

"You should have seen the other guy"

View attachment 5216
wait, it is the top half of the fairing, sorry:

Attachments

• 20240524_171837.jpg
    20240524_171837.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 4
Just curious if there was anything obvious in that region.

Tbh I have never heard of an issue like this so I would be looking to get the fault codes read

Latest posts

Back