Austin MotoGP

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got recent experience of traveling to the Austin (COTA) track for the MotoGP meeting? I'm heading there and staying in down town Austin. I was expecting to jump on a shuttle bus from down town to the track (and back) each day. From what I'm reading the shuttle buses only run for the F1 meeting. Anyone know if that is correct? Anyone got experience of traveling to the track and what would you suggest as the best option? TIA.

Niiiice, I've only been able to stand outside the perimeter fencing and look at T1 etc...drove up there one day when I was in town for work (no action on track).

I did the COTA MotoGP in 2018, I went with a buddy of mine who lived in Houston and so I flew there and we used his car to get to the circuit. It wasn't too bad getting in and out the circuit (maybe 20mins both getting in and out) and the parking was up behind turn 1. Its a good circuit and if the weather is kind to you, it's great to wander around the track during the weekend. The bar and giant TV on the infield before the pit entrance is worth visiting too.

You might want to ask the COTA circuit travel email address "[email protected]". Checking the COTA website, there do seem to be some shuttle buses from hotels in Austin but COTA want to sell you the whole package, tickets, seats, hotel and shuttle bus, but you might ask them about buying seats on a shuttle bus.

We stayed in Austin which is a rockin' place, it is very laid back and quite bohemian compared with the rest of Texas, huge student city so lots of young people having fun too. Keep your eye open for various pre-event nights at motorcycle dealerships in the city with rider celebs attending. just get an ?ber account set up before you go and you can move around the city at a reasonable price.

Steve

Thanks Steve - great stuff.

What I've learned so far is the shuttle bus service is actually put on by F1, MotoGP don't provide it. So we've hired a car which means we can come and go as we please. Sorted some parking in a private parking spot (farm) just outside turn 1. Should be easier to get in and out from a traffic point of view with a 15 minute walk to the track. The vast majority of the complaints about getting in and out seem to be related to F1.

I've never been to Austin but the guys commentating on the GP always say its a great place to come which was what swayed the decision. Looking forward to it. I'll keep an eye out for local dealerships to see if there is anything going on.

Cheers.

You did really well with those pictures!

Hope you had a great time? For me the Moto2 and Moto3 races were brilliant, I liked the MotoGP race and really enjoyed the Sprint.

So my son came up with an interesting opinion about Rins on the Honda. Rins rode it really loose and slid the rear tyre through the corners rather than the MM93 style of squaring off the corner, almost hook turning the bike and firing the bike out when it is upright and on the fat part of the tyre. What if the bike needs to be ridden like that and everyone else who has ridden it feels they need to emulate MM93?

After you've recovered from the jet lag, a quick write up about your trip would have us going even more green with envy - especially having met those riders. What was the best place to hang out in at night? What was the vibe like at the track?

Overall it was a great experience. Just hearing the bikes coming round the track makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. These guys are just amazing to watch.

We really liked Austin as a base, walked pretty much everywhere. The people were very friendly, a nice vibe to it. Lots of green open space along the Colorado in the city centre. Found a couple of bars on 6th street (east side) which were very boisterous! Our preference was 4th and 5th street on the West side, the volume had been turned down a tad for us old folk!

Since I've now been I'll answer my own question regards getting to the track just to help anyone else that goes. The track layout is amazing. Very good views from pretty much anywhere. Just standing on the grass at turn one is a great experience. I had seats in T15 stand which were excellent. Go up to row 16 plus so you have a view over the catch fence. Food and drink at the track is abundant but expensive. At least you can get something to get you through the day. Toilets were generally OK and easily available. They had lots of other stuff on at the track all day, every day. Even wrestling! There are no shuttle buses available for MotoGP from Austin. There is no public transport that goes to the circuit. The only option for us, staying in downtown Austin, was to hire a car and drive. The traffic was not too bad. The journey took 30 mins on the Saturday for qualifying and an extra 20 minutes on the Sunday. Note - most of this extra delay was due to Austin holding its annual marathon run on the same day (why would you do that!) . Lots of the roads in Austin city centre were closed for the marathon, so it was difficult actually getting out of town on the morning of the race. Once out the drive to the circuit was not too bad. Traffic was quite well organised at the track. I decided the official parking for 3 days ($300!!) was ridiculous. I opted for a private spot on the south of the circuit. Just outside Lot T, there are several much cheaper private options. From these, you walk directly into Lot T with a 15 minute walk to turn 1. They were about a 10th of the price. The one I picked even had the facility to pre book and pre pay. The other benefit with these parking spots is you walk past all the queues of cars waiting to exit Lot T, get into your car, and leave. It worked great. They even put free food and drink on for people parking there. Donations accepted.

Overall its a great place to see a MotoGP event, BUT, Austin is very expensive. Hotels, food, drinks everything is very expensive. Especially if coming from the UK and the exchange rate is poor. In down town you could pay $30 for two draft beers (inc service charge).

Our biggest disappointment? We'd booked because we wanted to see Marc Marquez win after all he's been through (don't hate me!). Him not even being there was a poor start. So for the Sat sprint race I was cheering on Fabio and the wife wanted Alex Marquez for the win. That obviously didn't pan out well! I'd spent a bit of time chatting with Jake coming of the plane about his new family so was really looking forward to him racing well. Oh dear. I think the riders would be willing to pay not to have a picture taken with me next time.

Oddly the biggest cheer from the American fans came when Pecco went down. Not sure what he's done to the Americans but he's not well liked.

Overall a great place and easy to watch a MotoGP event there.

Think I'm going to need to book for Sachsenring.

Overall its a great place to see a MotoGP event, BUT, Austin is very expensive. Hotels, food, drinks everything is very expensive. Especially if coming from the UK and the exchange rate is poor. In down town you could pay $30 for two draft beers (inc service charge).
the good ol' usa isn't a cheap holiday option anymore, all the major cities/attractions are well out there price wise nowadays

Latest posts

Back