Another Luggage Question - Kriega

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacersEdge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Gents, - Looking at luggage and Kriega is my favourite option right now. Likely to be at MotoGP abroad later in the year and thinking that I may need to secure it if we are leaving our bikes parked outside in a crowded car park all day. The website and Internet isn't clear so for those of you that have these US-30's /US-20's etc can you tell me... Determined f***ers can always cut straps of course but just to deter the opportunists is there anyway to make sure the straps can't be undone, threading under the seat etc, and equally is it possible to padlock the rolltop itself? Any insight appreciated.

Don't think there's any way to stop the straps being undone. The design of them is to make them easy on and off and you wouldn't be able to padlock them either. Why don't you just take them with you ? My experience of Moto GP , BSB and TT is you'd be highly unlucky to get anything stolen.

Thanks Beavis, I'd rather not take them with me. Likely gonna be out there 9 days and this will be a stop off on route home so don't really want to be lugging all that gear around for the day. I was wondering if a simple bike lock through all the loops or something would do a basic job to deter any opportunists. I agree it's unlikely but just thinking through my options before I buy anything...

There's 4 loops attached to the bike under the seat, the bags have 4 straps that have a hook at the end to attach to the loops on the seat. On the other side, they have clips that attach to the bag.

I can't see how to lock the bags to the bike... They're also have a long strap to carry them around.

If you manage to put the hooks under the seat and then pass a wire through the 4 clips to a padlock, then another wire for the 2 clips that close the bag, it might be secure. Not sure it's worth it.

You can also do what I do, I put all my valuables in the tank bag / backpack. On the bags, I only carry clothes, if it's stolen the I didn't lose anything that is important.

I've got the us-30 and two us-10's, they are good and the straps go under the seat, but they can be undone or cut. I think you would be unlucky to have them stolen

Can't add to the wise security comments above. However, big fan of Kriega as I am, I found that my US-20 (with a US-10 attached) nowhere near as secure as the BMW tail bag that I subsequently bought. Yes, could have been user error but I found the two bags, fully loaded, were sitting askew and at one point one of the hooks came free. I'm pretty careful about checking and double-checking luggage but I've found that these Kriega items struggled on the narrow seat. Previous review on this forum of BMW tail pack can be found here. That said, the same security challenge will apply, as it does with most (all?) soft luggage.

The BMW and Ventura kit is great cause it can be removed in seconds...sadly that's probably its weakness too. I keep the shoulder strap in the bag and take it off the bike if I'm anywhere dodgy.

Can't add to the wise security comments above. However, big fan of Kriega as I am, I found that my US-20 (with a US-10 attached) nowhere near as secure as the BMW tail bag that I subsequently bought. Yes, could have been user error but I found the two bags, fully loaded, were sitting askew and at one point one of the hooks came free. I'm pretty careful about checking and double-checking luggage but I've found that these Kriega items struggled on the narrow seat. Previous review on this forum of BMW tail pack can be found here. That said, the same security challenge will apply, as it does with most (all?) soft luggage.

that's strange, I have over 15k km on my bike around europe using the us-30 / us-30 + 2 us-10 and they've never came undone. This was done in all kinds of weathers and speeds.

Two three times over a recent weekend to Scarborough the lads flagged me down because the luggage looked as if it was sliding off (it wasn't as the hooks remained in place with the exception mentioned about. But it looked like it was). We were giving it some welly, it has to be said, but I found I had to tighten the straps two or three times. What I didn't do was use any grip mat underneath. Honestly, you'll have more experience with the US-series packs than me and I do love the kit generally. I can't, however, fault the BMW tail pack so far.

Back