520 conversion - links and teeth!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
Hopefully i can get a "unit average" on this, i am about to convert to 520 from OEM, going to be using a 16 front and am looking at 45 & 46 rear sprockets, what i need to know is the general concensus on how many links to go with on the new chain?

I have had a few bits of advice to stick with 120 links rather than cutting it to 118?

Who's using what?

Gearing

I am currently using a 16T front sprocket and, depending on which circuit I'm at, either a 44T, 45T or 46T rear sprocket. I did not reduce chain length from 120 links as the wheelbase is longer on the 2015-on model and shortening it makes the front wheel difficult to keep down under hard acceleration.

What do you suggest for a gen 2, i am tempted to just go with 118 links given that i know it will still be fine with the 16/46 but dropping as far as a 44 if needed will still give me the room needed on the swingarm.

118 is stock for the Gen2.
If you reduce the teeth you need to lengthen the wheelbase for the same number of teeth.

Gearing

I would personally stay with the OEM chain length as it gives you some degree of flexibility. The only time I've used 16/44 gearing is at Cadwell Park.

What was the reason for going 44 at Cadwell Ry? I've always gone bigger on the rear at Cadwell due to the relatively short straights and needing a bit more punch out of the chicane and old hairpin.

Cheers i will go for that then, i think dropping 1 off the front and going 1 up on the rear isn't going to make a massive difference to the wheelbase using 118 links but i will have a bit of a measure using the 45 & 46 before i cut it anyway.

Gearing

What was the reason for going 44 at Cadwell Ry? I've always gone bigger on the rear at Cadwell due to the relatively short straights and needing a bit more punch out of the chicane and old hairpin.

I would have normally run different gearing but I was recommended 16/44 by several current SSTK racers so thought I would try it. Suffice to say I would use it again if riding at Cadwell Park as it worked well. That said if it doesn't work for you it's relatively quick to change rear sprocket size if needed.

Re: Gearing

I would have normally run different gearing but I was recommended 16/44 by several current SSTK racers so thought I would try it. Suffice to say I would use it again if riding at Cadwell Park as it worked well. That said if it doesn't work for you it's relatively quick to change rear sprocket size if needed.

Gearing commander might help mate. Just google it. All sorts of chain and sprocket parameters you can change for multiple bikes.

Gearing

Thanks for that although I'm fairly content on how to set up gearing for track use!

Latest posts

Back