3rd gen design niggles and points for improvement.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trezz

Reaction score
My next door neighbor and I both bought our bikes relatively around the same time so we both looked over both bikes side by side to discuss the finer points.His bike is a 1299 panigale.Without question I think the RR trumps the ducati,in overall value for money,usability and spec for similar money.However there were some things I think Bmw should've of done.
Main issue for me...Color TFT instrument screen with an easier menu interface.Color coding the menus would make selection alot more intuitive.The old LCD looks old school now among the crop of other high end bikes released within the last 3years that mostly all come with colour TFT interfaces.I think Bmw let down the side on that front.
Design wise I'm not a fan of the exposed box section steel rear frame that the rear foot pegs attach too.It looks a bit low tech 😁
What else would you guys say is a point for improvement.

The MY19 bike will see the biggest overhaul of the RR since its launch (a decade earlier) by all accounts... Things have moved on in some area's but in others the competition have only just caught up.
I would expect a GSA-esq Digital Dash, LED lighting and other tinsel to be added then.
But, many like the traditional rev counter and will miss it if its gone. I hope they can incorporate it even if it's a digital version.

With the new version seemingly going to be more compact I just hope it's as comfortable on the road...

Last edited:
The RR set a new benchmark when it was introduced in 09/10. Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda have now had their say, I fully expect BMW to have something up their sleeve with the '19.

I did get the impression that the 3rd gen was built to somewhat of a budget.Even though we got DDC,cruise control,heated grips etc.Why have LED taillights and not headlights like on the panigale.I think that was a cost cutting measure.The cruise control switch as well can use a re-design.Its not the most robust mechanism.Already had mine replaced under warranty.

Crude switchgear is an RR 'feature' :)

When it came out it was a revolution. The Gen2/3 have been evolutions not really new models.

My MY-2019 wish list, is that BMW offer two models, a base ?road? model priced under ?20K, and a homologation model for ~ ?25K.

I think it would make sense having the base road bike with a stroked engine ~ 1100 cc, as this would not only produce an even more flexible engine, but would be of significant benefit in the future R and XR models too.

My MY-19 ?spec? wish list (base bike):
- Full TFT dash
- LED lights all round, with integrated indicators
- HP carbon fibre wheels
- Counter-rotating crank
- Variable Valve Timing
- Bosch?s 6-axis IMU
- Improved gearbox
- Improved refinement and quality control

Homologation ?spec? wish list, all of the above plus:
- Carbon frame & subframe
- Ohlins suspension
- Brembo M50 callipers and master cylinder

I think it?s important BMW don?t hold back on the 19 bike, as Ducati certainly have set the bar high with their upcoming V4, from a technical perspective at least, and as bananaman has said when the S1K was launched in 2009 it set the bar incredibly high indeed!

I think it?s also worth saying that despite all the desirable upgrades on the next bike, I think the current generation RR is an amazing, versatile bike, as far as I am concerned BMW have the whole package.
Everything from the accessibility of test rides, the premium dealerships, the after sales experience and not to mention all the events BMW run (track days, off-road events, touring etc).

Double thumbs up from me BMW, and I eagerly await to see what you bring us next [emoji1303][emoji6]

To that wish list I'd add Bluetooth app integration for smartphones for user setup parameters, datalogging and track telemetry.Bit jealous of the r1m and MY17 aprilia rsv4 rf on that front.

To that wish list I'd add Bluetooth app integration for smartphones for user setup parameters, datalogging and track telemetry.Bit jealous of the r1m and MY17 aprilia rsv4 rf on that front.

The data logger for the RR has been available since before the R1 was born...

- Sent from Mobile

+1 on the Bluetooth, forgot to mention that lol!
Would be fantastic to configure the settings from an app, that way anytime the battery is disconnected, or the bike has a software update you don?t have to spend 10 mins going through all the menus reconfiguring everything

If MY19's rr does deliver on these fronts ostensibly we can expect a 25-35k SE sport spec rr I would imagine.
Speculation amounds all over the Internet about Bmw diversifying the rr range to include on the low end an s750rr and an all electric RR as well.It makes complete marketing sense as the gen1 to gen3 has established and solidified the Bmw RR model as a market leading sports bike.In the same vein as the name "Ninja" is synonymous with kawi's range of ninja sportbikes of thier varied cc's.
There will certainly be a wider range of RR's in the future.

My next door neighbor and I both bought our bikes relatively around the same time so we both looked over both bikes side by side to discuss the finer points.His bike is a 1299 panigale.Without question I think the RR trumps the ducati,in overall value for money,usability and spec for similar money.However there were some things I think Bmw should've of done.
Main issue for me...Color TFT instrument screen with an easier menu interface.Color coding the menus would make selection alot more intuitive.The old LCD looks old school now among the crop of other high end bikes released within the last 3years that mostly all come with colour TFT interfaces.I think Bmw let down the side on that front.
Design wise I'm not a fan of the exposed box section steel rear frame that the rear foot pegs attach too.It looks a bit low tech 😁
What else would you guys say is a point for improvement.
I currently own both bikes at the moment & use them on alternative days as commuters as well as Tourers & weekend blasts.
The panigale excels in aesthetics (IMO), finish & low down insane torque.
The RR excels in just about every other way: comfort, suspension, useability, overall spec & reliability ( don?t want to jinx this one).
It is my go to bike ( after my cycle - first love) for most things.
I do however accept the current incarnation is starting to look dated compared with the competition.
Bizarrely, I find the slightly old-school nature very appealing.

Having ridden both bikes as well I actually did find the panigale ergonomically superior.That is until I installed the comfort seat on the RR.It was money well spent. Not only is it a saviour on the backside but the added seat thickness takes a couple degrees bend off the knees to the footpegs.
As for the panigale,haha rode it for 5 hours in southern spanish summer weather.Im sure my sperm count hit it's lowest level from the heat coming off that thing.

Latest posts

Back