2015 Suspension setup.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HongKongPhooey

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone's had a play about setting up sag/pre-load on the 2015 bike.

I've got the Sport, non-rider pro, (DDC but no user mode and adjustment on the fly.)

The front end feels rock hard with almost no sag, yet the preload adjust on the forks (RHS) is almost all the way over to L. As in H <----------> L. L, I assume is Low, to the H for Hard? I expected to be able to back it off to increase the travel!?

I've had a read of the manual and was going to set sag/preload, do a calibration and then try adjusting the damping. The thing is choppy as f@ck on the settings it's on!

Would be interested to see what others have experienced or tried. I'm a little over the 85kg rider it's supposed to be set for. (95kg in gear).

Cheers gents!

Hi,

I have just been to the TT, sorry I did not get chance to meet up with you.

I had mine set on Sport mode with the preload fully backed off F & R, then also I had -4 Com and -4 Reb both front and rear (I have a 2D sensor on the front).

As you know, the TT course is pretty bumpy as are the IoM roads in general, but I found this to be a good compromise.

Mine is a 2015 Sport with all the options and a 2D sensor on the front to enable the Compression and Rebound to be adjusted separately.

I would say that after 10 days at the TT, my suspension seems to have 'bedded in' and I will probably play some more with the settings, i have close to 3000 miles up now.

Cheers for the reply gents, no bother, plans go on hold when everyone's having fun!

Ok, sounds like they're all the same having done some reading on the different sites. Really odd they recommend a sag that's not achievable even when it's all backed off totally, however I'll try backing off the Compression and damping, see how that turns out. I assume once set it stays that way?

Cheers.

Yes, once you set the damping parameters, they stay set until you change them.

Please bear in mind that you have to set the damping for each mode, so if you change them in SPORT for instance, they do not change for RACE.

Also, for SLICK mode, the base setting is different, but I don't think you have that one do you ?

As I said, I used SPORT at the TT, it's enough for me around there, I use SLICK when I'm at the track, because I run Metzeler slicks on trackdays, when I am on my own, on the road, I use USER mode with the throttle set to SLICK and the suspension and ABS set to SPORT, or RACE, depending on my mood.

I really like how we can change the whole character of the bike with a few clicks from the dash/handlebar, no more screwdrivers, fumbling under the bike, expensive suspension reworking etc.

It's still a journey though, I spoke to several of the riders ain the TT paddock and almost all of them had either had reworks done by Wilbers or just junked the DDS and fitted Ohlins or BiTubo kit.

I guess the racers prefer to stick with what they know.

Cheers for the reply gents, no bother, plans go on hold when everyone's having fun!

Ok, sounds like they're all the same having done some reading on the different sites. Really odd they recommend a sag that's not achievable even when it's all backed off totally, however I'll try backing off the Compression and damping, see how that turns out. I assume once set it stays that way?

Cheers.

Yes, once you set the damping parameters, they stay set until you change them.

Please bear in mind that you have to set the damping for each mode, so if you change them in SPORT for instance, they do not change for RACE.

Also, for SLICK mode, the base setting is different, but I don't think you have that one do you ?

As I said, I used SPORT at the TT, it's enough for me around there, I use SLICK when I'm at the track, because I run Metzeler slicks on trackdays, when I am on my own, on the road, I use USER mode with the throttle set to SLICK and the suspension and ABS set to SPORT, or RACE, depending on my mood.

I really like how we can change the whole character of the bike with a few clicks from the dash/handlebar, no more screwdrivers, fumbling under the bike, expensive suspension reworking etc.

It's still a journey though, I spoke to several of the riders ain the TT paddock and almost all of them had either had reworks done by Wilbers or just junked the DDS and fitted Ohlins or BiTubo kit.

I guess the racers prefer to stick with what they know.

Depends how far you want to go.For us mere mortals,IMO it works very well and is also quite kind to the tyres.
Yesterday on a trackday,I was lapping Snetterton low 2mins,best 1.59.9 with std ddc(running RR+3 ,RC+2,FR+3,FC+0).Slick mode DTC-6/-7.ABS on.

DDC Suspension

I'm really pleased with the DDC system. It does take a little bit of getting used to on track as it feels subtly different to conventional suspension. The key to understanding suspension set-up is being able to identify what the bike is doing beneath you and more importantly what it is preventing you from doing. This will continually change the faster you go as you will likely encounter different issues as the suspension will react differently as the pace increases. Whilst this is perhaps more pertinent for track riding, given road speeds are much lower, the basic principles of suspension set-up are just as relevant. DDC allows you to make changes quickly between sessions which is extremely useful. As mentioned above any settings you input will vary between Rider Modes as the DDC system parameters differ. Setting preload is a must before doing anything else; but note that suspension set-up is all about trial and error, particularly with DDC, so the best advice is to get out and experiment. Importantly, you need to find what works for you and not rely on settings recommended by others as there are just far to many variables affecting set-up that will differ greatly between riders.

Slick DTC -6/-7 mere mortal ? :crash_smilie: :eek-new:

HaHa!
As a mere mortal,that's why it's still turned on!
I think I still have an issue with the tyre size/dtc combination making the tc oversensitive.
I'll have to study the video footage to see what the light is doing.

If anyone is interested,I might post the video(through screen showing track/clocks in action)-if I can!!

Traction Control

It certainly feels better on track when the DTC is dialled down.

HaHa!
As a mere mortal,that's why it's still turned on!
I think I still have an issue with the tyre size/dtc combination making the tc oversensitive.
I'll have to study the video footage to see what the light is doing.

If anyone is interested,I might post the video(through screen showing track/clocks in action)-if I can!!

Defo interested, also find tc is sensitive but in a fine way, bottled it at -2 for now lol

Back