2015 K46 BMW Akro FS disappointment & Hilltop Motorcycles remap

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaineseMan

On Wednesday, I had the dealer supplied 'official' BMW Akroprovic full 'racing system' (cat made by Akro) installed and must say that it was a huge anticlimax when I switched the engine on. BMW's description of the product as giving the bike 'soulful throaty sound' seems highly misrepresentative because the sound is identical to the stock exhaust. I actually had the opportunity at Silverstone yesterday to compare mine to the stock system and everyone around us agreed that there is no difference in sound to the standard system.

Is it just me, or is this a complete waste of ?2200?

Does anyone know where the DB killer - and how to remove it - because I cannot see one from the outside of the bike and am really hoping that the acoustics now do not represent the sound with the baffle off!!

I've been reading some of the riders' experiences with Geoff at Hilltop and decided to book the bike in with him for some treatment; can anyone offer any advice on what to instruct him to focus on?

I must admit I would be pretty gutted if I spent ?500 on an end can and it didn't sound 'fruitier'. But ?2200.. kin nora.

Although it's a 'racing system' so I'm guessing this is to be mated to a race tuned engine? You're not going to gain full benefits of this from a remap alone??

As for the baffle is there not a small grub screw/allen/torx fixing near the end of the exhaust?

I think you meant 'kenein ehora' ;)

Yes there is a torx fixing but there doesn't seem to be any removable parts (apart from the torx screw)

I have AR GP1 slip on and I can assure you it sounds loads better.

i would be very interested to hear your experience with Geoff at Hilltop.

Does your Akrapovic system have a Cat, if it does then you have the road legal system which will be the same as the stock system to comply with Euro noise regs.

Cheers,

Mark

If you go to hilltops, get dynoed before and after the flash. This way you know what affect the tune had.

I've been to Geoff and I'm now getting 207.15 BHP at the wheel (would love to know what it is at the crank) and 94.23 ft/lb.

He made a different map for rain and slick, but rain now produces the max BHP but with a more civilised and torquey power curve.

On the road, unless rainy, I now run the bike in user mode with engine mode in slick and DTC etc set to sport. I'm really surprised at how easy and relatively cheap it was to get such a significant upgrade.

The bike is not only faster now, but the delivery of power is much more linear and the exhaust note is 10 times better, especially on a closed throttle. I was at Brands on Thursday and there was an externally identical bike to mine in my group, and I was significantly faster than him out of the corners and off the straights. He was so confused lol

I'm another rider that's benefited from Geoff's updates - just make sure you get the tune up for the final bike setup, I.e. any other mods fitted (air filter, etc.) and it's filled withthe right fuel (I filled up with Shell 98 Ron beforehand)

Last edited:
Hi DaineseMan,

is is yours a 2015 then ? Can't really tell from your avatar.

207 BHP is impressive, can you say what other mods you have done ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Hmm,

Dyno is optimistic, mine showed 204 bhp at rear wheel on Geoff's Dyno (2012). Doesn't really matter what number is, but 204 or 207 it is not.
What is important is before and after runs.
After ECU reflash bike is so much better, more drivable and delivery is much better, as is electronic intervention.

Deff recommend but BHP numbers are for boasting over a pint as so many variables can alter them, to be taken with a pinch off salt.

Davy

I've got the ful Ti Akro race system on my 2010 (no cat), and it sounds very nice with the baffle out! :)

its well worth a visit to hilltop
for the record I lost 20 bhp from stock when I had a fruity sounding AR system fitted with a baffle

Latest posts

Back