2015 gearing, anyone changed theirs ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mibridger

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

As the title says, has anyone here tried different gearing on their 2015 yet ?

I am thinking of going -1 on the front (17 down to 16).

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Also, thinking of shortening the chain, the standard chain length means that it's near the end of the swingarm, anyone tried shortening the chain/wheelbase yet ?

I don't tend to do long road trips, except for the annual TT trip which is done now, I am more interested in torque/accelleration than top end speed.

Before I order to a new 520 chain/sprocket kit, I would appreciate any feedback.

16t on the front is always worth it-lets face it-how often do we exceed 180 on the road!
I also use a 46t rear road or track.
Personally,I would try and keep the wheelbase the same-IMO there is nothing to be gained(unless you want it to be more of a handful!).

Cheers

1) Surely it's better to increase the rear sprocket when it comes to load distribution?
2) What's the OEM rear count?

The Sthou feels low geared to me compared to the K8 I had before.

Was thinking about going two teeth up on the back when I put new tyres on, one to give better acceleration and two to bring the chain back into more adjustment .
Dean

Thanks bananaman,
did you notice any change to the way the TC works with the different gearing ?
i have read that the TC pre control is programmed to work with standard gearing, just wondering if changing would have any effect on it.
I am planning to go with 16/46, just want to be sure before I order the parts.

Thanks bananaman,
did you notice any change to the way the TC works with the different gearing ?
i have read that the TC pre control is programmed to work with standard gearing, just wondering if changing would have any effect on it.
I am planning to go with 16/46, just want to be sure before I order the parts.

Not really noticed 'the difference' as I changed soon after I bought it, it works but probably earlier due to the livelier performance...

Last edited:
Is the chain 520 pitch? cant find it anywhere and is not stamped on the links ever.

Dean

Just ordered a 47t rear so will let you know how I get on with it when it gets here.

Dean

Hi,
Postman delivered this today from Talon,fitted it and went for a quick blast. The bike picks up a bit quicker and gets the electronics working a bit more, the pit limiter is now doing 28mph instead of 30mph at the same revs. Hope when the weather get a little better to give a good run or might have to wait to Donny at bank hol to see how it really goes now but feels more like my k5 so more happy

Dean

I went with 16F/44R, I also have a 46R in case I need it.

I am liking the feel of it now :)

Hi
What affect does it have going down 1 tooth back and front? I know me going up 2 on the rear gives more acceleration but drops top speed a little.

Dean

It lowers the gearing, -1 on the front = around +2.5 on the back

I went with -1 (16) front and -1 (44) rear so it lowers the gearing overall, if i want to go further, I have a 46 rear as well.

Latest posts

Back