18T front sprocket

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can get an 18 Tooth front sprocket for a 2016 model. I want one for next month. Thanks in advance.

Re: B&C Express

Thanks , I searched tinternet for the last two hours and they never came up. I will give them a ring in the morning.

What's the reason for wanting one? You could drop to a 44T rear to make it leggier, might be easier.

Gearing

As a rule just remember the following when making any changes to gear ratios:

Gearing a bike up to produce higher top speed with less acceleration is done using a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket.

Gearing a bike down giving it more acceleration with lower top speed is done using a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear sprocket.

Generally speaking changing one tooth on the front sprocket has a significantly larger effect on the gearing than changing one tooth on the rear sprocket. To make only a small change in gearing it is therefore necessary to change the rear sprocket size by one tooth, as changing the front sprocket makes a far larger difference in gearing.

You may not always have to reduce the number of links when altering gear ratios but bear in mind a reduction in chain length may positively, or negatively, alter wheelbase. For the 2015/16 model retaining a longer wheelbase is preferential.

Its for a one off top speed run. I have emailed talon to see what they can do or suggest. B&C offered to machine a 42 T rear but it will take to long and i will have to shorten the chain

Re: Gearing

Thanks. There is not the adjustment left in the chain to go down 2Teeth thats why i wanted to go up 1T at the front. its only for a one off event then back to standard.

wont take a 18t front sprocket,the 17t is uber tight as it is.

As a rule just remember the following when making any changes to gear ratios:

Gearing a bike up to produce higher top speed with less acceleration is done using a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket.

Gearing a bike down giving it more acceleration with lower top speed is done using a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear sprocket.

Generally speaking changing one tooth on the front sprocket has a significantly larger effect on the gearing than changing one tooth on the rear sprocket. To make only a small change in gearing it is therefore necessary to change the rear sprocket size by one tooth, as changing the front sprocket makes a far larger difference in gearing.

You may not always have to reduce the number of links when altering gear ratios but bear in mind a reduction in chain length may positively, or negatively, alter wheelbase. For the 2015/16 model retaining a longer wheelbase is preferential.
Thats excellent advice...I always wondered what the difference was with altering the front v the rear.

Sent from Galaxy S7

The rule of thumb depending on who you speak to Stuart is that taking 1 tooth off the front sprocket is like adding 2.5 teeth to the rear one (round that to 3 :D ) and adding 1 tooth to the front is like taking 3 off the rear.

Pretty much all the bikes I have owned have benefited from taking 1 tooth off the front sprocket for road use too (definitely the Italian bikes) as it made them easier to ride in the lower gears and revs around towns but I still ended up adding 2 teeth to the rear of most of them bikes too as I didn't need top end, with the BMW I haven't felt the need to change the gearing :D

Latest posts

Back