18k service start saving lol

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1kgaz

Reaction score
Just was wondering how many people know that the 18k service cost is circa ?800 from BMW apparently engine got to be dropped half out to complete valve service there is replacement of cam bolt to a longer one ? mmmmmm seems bit steep anyone been through this yet ???

If they (BMW) have to change the length of a cam bolt then that would suggest it wasn't long enough in the first place. Why should you have to pay for that?

I think it's the cam tension bolt but I do not understand why u would need a longer bolt ? #SimpleSuzukiDays.

Thanks for pointing that out 1Kgaz. I'm at 12K miles now so my service at the end of this year will be the 18K one. Its something I need to factor in when deciding on whether to keep my bike or change for the new model.

If by tension it's a stretch bolt then they cannot be reused. It's probably designed with a certain tensile strength and would fail eventually if not replaced.

Does seem odd, but I'm no engineer.

Looks like I'll be selling mine after this year then. No way am I paying 800quid for that!

Just was wondering how many people know that the 18k service cost is circa ?800 from BMW apparently engine got to be dropped half out to complete valve service there is replacement of cam bolt to a longer one ? mmmmmm seems bit steep anyone been through this yet ???

I had a 30k service done on another bmw bike last year that required the engine to be dropped to get at the heads etc, and the cost was around what you've been quoted. The joys of premium brand ownership.

The dealer should be able to provide you with an itemised quote for what needs doing along with costs for each bit. Edit - and part numbers...

Last edited:
Back