?2-7000 Sporty Touring Commuter - Passenger friendly

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm in no rush but thought it would be interesting to hear your views / experiences. It's a wide price range because it doesn't need to be new to be good.

I'd like to get a bit of a do-it-all machine that I can zip about town on, take the other half out on (nervous first timer), and maybe do the odd tour as to be honest the RR is heading in the direction of the track more than the road.

A GSA is not happening especially for the budget.

Idea's I've had;
Honda: VFR800 (sports or adventure)/NC750/CBF1000
Yamaha: MT-07 Tracer/MT-09 Tracer
Kawasaki: Z1000SX

Anything vastly better than those? 700-1000cc

I'm quite taken with the MT-09 Tracer in Grey/Blue of all of them...

As a 5th-gen (VTEC) VFR800 owner, I'd honestly suspect you'll be disappointed after the S1K. I've always liked Hondas but the VFR8 disappoints in some areas- build quality isn't great. Regulator/rectifiers will die. You will need to replace both camchain tensioners every 20-30,000 miles, the stator will probably burn out and will need rewinding.

Throttle response was improved from 2004 onwards, but it's still rubbish. Often very hard to hold any revs below 5000rpm.

In town traffic if you have the headlights on and the cooling fan kicks in (and it will, a lot, since the side-mounted radiators don't flow any air) you may find the battery running flat as the generator can't really provide enough juice to keep everything running. This is worse if your reg/stator are borderline.

The bike is rife with poor design- the fairing is a 3D puzzle and virtually every fastener is different, the fan blows the wrong way as Honda didn't want to expel air in the rider's face, so you often find yourself in the odd situation where you're riding at 30mph but the bike isn't cooling down as the fan is opposing the airflow. Doh. A VTR1000 fan fixes it, but you shouldn't need to.

Don't get me wrong, I love my VFR, have had it the longest of any bike I've owned, and when it's on song it's a good ride. It even wheelies well and the VTEC nois is addictive even if it doesn't really add anything, but given what I know now I'd hesitate to buy another. 4th gen is more sorted, has gear driven cams so sounds like a VFR should, but has no ABS if that bothers you. Newest VFR8 is supposedly much improved, but still mega money. I'm tempted by a VFR1200 though- generally sorted, reliable bike with a peachy motor, lots around within your budget.

NC750 is the equivalent of a diesel bike- torquey but runs out of puff at bugger all revs. CB1000F is supposedly a brilliantly capable bike, torquey and fun, dirt cheap, but the looks are just so plain and "Meh". I was on the verge of getting one, figuring you can't see it while you're riding, but bailed.

Never ridden a Z1000SX, would like to, but they just look so wide and unwieldy.

MT-07 cheap laughs but a bit wheezy, especially after the S1K. MT-09 is definitely your friend!

I'm considering replacing the VFR8, have thought about MT-09s, but am leaning towards the KTM990SM-T at the moment- mad motor with practicality built in and great build quality. Prices becoming pretty affordable and might drop a bit further now the replacement 1290SM is incoming....

Last edited:
Z1000SX yes, but I'd look at a ZZR1400, BMW K1200S / 1300S or for less dollar a Hayabusa. Do it all bikes that will comfortably carry two plus luggage in comfort and still shift big style.

They all seem a bit big Mac...looking for something more nimble Z1000SX is about as big as I could envisage. Filtering through London is a consideration.

Interesting on the VFR, Flymo, not sure which years the Gen5 is you currently own. I quite like the 'x' version of the 800 and 1200. 1200X DCT was what I was hankering for but felt it was a bit big/expensive for a second bike. The 990 SM-T does look like fun!

I understand your point Alex, although I have no problem filtering and negotiating city traffic on my GSA. A bigger bike like the ones I mentioned with a torquey motor is much better for touring and carrying passengers and luggage than a smaller bike (990SMT would be a disaster with a passenger!) and if it ends up being your main road bike you also want something that will be capable and fun on the open road.

K1300S is a good all round sports tourer and very fast, economical, roomy, shaft drive. Fugly to some. Electronic suspension for 2 up, as good at filering as the sthou. I had a K1300R which is the same chassis and did 40k miles on it no problem. I'd have a K13S if I didn't have the GSA. It would be at the top of your budget.

Best mod you can make for easy filtering is ditch your mirrors and buy a Reevu helmet. Best bike accessory invented in my opinion...

Alex, I dug out a short vid below I did when selling my KTM SMT. Everything I said then remains true now, with the added views of a good friend who's had one and clocked up 40k miles and is MotoGP-bound to Austria on it as I write. He's done two-up, big distance and racks up the miles. They're the last word in all-round motorcycling. Rupert Paul, ex-editor of PB and a mate who doth not suffer foolish motorcycles, rates it as possibly the best bike ever. The engine needs a bit of regular maintenance - keep an eye on oil, etc - but it's reliable, unusual and brilliant. Why did I sell mine? Bright new baubles somewhere else. Wish I hadn't.

I had a good look at the SMT Andy, there's not a lot of room on it for two up and luggage?

Last edited:
I like the look of the ktm I'd also try a tuono
I had a lend of a nx750 auto for 3 weeks when my bike was in getting a new camshaft thought it was great fun but a bit slow so maybe try the 1200 version

I used an F800ST as my commuter until I replaced it with a K1300S. The F800 was light and nimble and carried everything I needed it to. Definitely in the price range you mention. I found the gearing on the F800GT to be quite frustrating compared to both the RR and the ST (for me the gearing was the biggest change between the models)...

...I still use the K for commuting, but I hardly need to do any at the moment. Disadvantages of the K for commuting are the width - it does feel incredibly wide when filtering but I've got used to it, and in any case the bars are still the widest part, and also first gear feels really long (it can't compete with the RR in first, the rest of the gears are much better, meaning it's a surprisingly close fight (as a visit to Youtube will prove). If I needed to commute regularly I would consider another used ST...and then I go and buy an S1000R (maybe an MT10 but I think the beemer is probably better).

My VFR750 is currently for sale, it's under your budget and it's the best 'all rounder' ever built :)

And just a little friendly advice from a mechanic: Don't buy a K1200 and i'd be cautious buying a K13..

We have had no end of problems with K12's recently, and every time I think I've seen all the common issues a new one becomes apparent. We are seriously considering not selling them anymore because they all give trouble eventually.. And the K13's while they don't seem to have as many issues yet, will soon be at an age where the issues started on the 12's

I'd just like to mention, the K's are brilliant bikes to ride but mechanically they're a nightmare.

I was in the same position as you, I found the Z1000 too big of a lump, the MT while great for you leave a to be desired for the pillion as the seat is poor.

My issue was I needed something I could get both feet flat on the floor and I'm not the tallest bloke. If that's not an issue for you have a look a GS or Triumph Tiger or the VFR is a nice ride.

Hi Guys, thanks for the input thus far. I've been reading the comments whilst out of the country.

VFR does seem to be a winner...I think the VFR800X should be what I need...but I will have to book some test rides. I don't like the standard VFR's reach to the bars when static, but that may change on the move.

The K1300S appeals a lot for the bigger class of bikes, just not sure about threading it down a b-road/commuting. Again I should ride one.

The pillion will only ever be occasional but I'll need to have a topbox behind her to give some sense of security, panniers are optional...but might as well get the lot.

Went to Italy last year on my ZX10r, accompanied by a couple of mates on VFR's, impressed with the way they handled thru the alps etc. I wanted another pillion friendly bike for me an the mrs, after the hyabusa so ended up buying a 02reg blue full panniers for ?2400 off one of them. Had it over 12 months now never used it apart from taking to MOT, Mrs not interested now ..ffs.. so it up for sale German import with 65k's which is about 40000 mikes in proper language. Been offered ?2000 on a trade in on a Versy, but like now the Mrs aint interested no more !!!

Just picked up my 2012 KTM 990 SM-T yesterday (traded in the VFR). Naturally given the thing was beautifully valeted by the dealer, it pi$$ed down all the way home.

Only done about 25 miles so far but...

Things I like:
Great punchy motor, feels really hard-edged and responsive.
I've had a few KTMs- 620sx which I murdered, and have a 200EXC stroker rotting away. Bike has a really familiar feeling, albeit with more mass and a nice feeling of solidity.
Brakes are proper efficient stoppers, ABS is unintrusive.
Seating position is great, seat is great, handguards are great. Also has KTM heated grips.
Marchesini stickers on the wheels.
A rack with slots for all common topbox plates comes as standard. My Givi V46 will be on there shortly.

Things I'm not sure about:
Arms/bar position is weird- different enough that anticipating the bike's reaction is using different muscles than normal- ended up with a strange achey feeling in both.
Understeers madly, but I guess I'm trying to ride it like a sportsbike. Can't remember how I did it on the 620sx, guess I'll have to re-learn!
Bit of chain slap at low revs.
Throttle is very sensitive, especially picking up from closed. Was prepared for this, and after the VFR I can easily cope, but it will go to BSD for a remap as it's a well proven solution, not to mention releasing some more midrange.

Overall, it feels very alien, but I'm liking it a lot.

Are you sitting well forward? This should help with comfort & control

Latest posts

Back