My 2011 s1000rr non sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant have you tried swapping them left/right to change the angle of the hooks, don't know but it might give you the clearance...

I'll give it a try tonight, i wanted to get the rear wheel off the floor so i could service my chain & sprockets as i've not touched them since i bought the bike.

It looks like the hooks are facing forward, which might be correct, but if you try swapping left and right over so the hooks are facing backwards, it might give you more clearance. Its hard to say from the pic but tbh the paddock stand you have used should theoretically do the job. If not, maybe get some replacement hooks that have a higher position. My warrior stand hooks hold the bobbins higher. Here's one I made earlier (only one I can find);

BTW I only get enough clearance to fit a piece of decking board underneath the tyre (I do that when I am taking the wheel off so the axle lines up when refitting), I think that is 28mm?

Okay so a bit of an update on the Hilltop re flash i was supposed to be attending on Saturday. I think i am going to cancel and just buy a PCV, reason for this is my pal who has a 2012 s1000rr had his re-tuned at hilltop with decat and K&N fitted and after having it flashed 1 week ago its gone and blown up. Basically BMW have told him that its been over tuned and the engine has just not coped with it, maybe i'm being over careful, maybe its coincidence and maybe BMW are just saying that (I don't know) but i'm just not comfortable with it. Its the first bad review that iv'e heard of coming out of their (I know some of you have head stories) but its too close to home for me.

Okay so a bit of an update on the Hilltop re flash i was supposed to be attending on Saturday. I think i am going to cancel and just buy a PCV, reason for this is my pal who has a 2012 s1000rr had his re-tuned at hilltop with decat and K&N fitted and after having it flashed 1 week ago its gone and blown up. Basically BMW have told him that its been over tuned and the engine has just not coped with it, maybe i'm being over careful, maybe its coincidence and maybe BMW are just saying that (I don't know) but i'm just not comfortable with it. Its the first bad review that iv'e heard of coming out of their (I know some of you have head stories) but its too close to home for me.

Ouch. Not heard that before but BMW rightly wont touch it if someone has messed with it.

Yeah BMW told him its a full engine job. And a job they wouldn't be interested in doing, personally im not 100% convinced its got anything to do with the re-flash but then in the same breath ive never heard of an STHOU engine blowing?

Wowzers...out of interest did your pal ask for maximum power or just "a re-map"? If I was going for a remap I'd be damned sure to stress driveability/safety over peak power? What were the circumstances before it let go? On track? Ragging it? Or just normal road riding/making progress? Really interested in the circumstances.

There's an engine for sale on here btw...as Soof mentioned.

Last edited:
I have mentioned to him about the engine for sale on here but he's not responded to me yet. When i say my friend he's more just someone i know that lives in the same town and is a bit of a knob to be honest haha. He was having a professional photoshoot done with his bike and was doing a burnout then the photographer asked him to get a video of him launching the bike and ragging it in first and second, thats when it popped in second gear at full chat. I personally know he doesnt look after his bikes with regards to servicing so i reckon he's probably just stressed it out too much and with the extra power from the remap its gone Bang!

Sounds highly plausible. Does sound like the map isn't the issue, though it probably removed any headroom.

Let's get the popcorn out when he takes your advice and goes onto this forum to find out he's nationally known as the knob with the blown engine :jaded:

im in 2 minds, after hearing how it happened it doesn't sound like the map is the issue like you say Alex. I havent cancelled my map in the end, just spoke to Geoff from Hilltop and he told me that (said knob) asked for the performance to be maxed out and geoff warned him of the issues. So i asked Geoff to set mine up for driveability. I dont use the full potential of the Horsepower so i dont need anymore i just want my fueling set right to give me pice of mind.

I used to own Mitsubishi Evo's and this was a very common topic on the MLR forum, if you 'tune' an abused engine it will go pop, similarly there are loads of people out there claiming to be 'expert' mappers who don't have a clue and often claim to be able to gain more power than anyone else. What I concluded was that you have to go on earned reputation, where a mapper's cars / bikes are proven race winners and where they get consistent excellent feedback. Why not watch your bike being dyno'd before and after the remap so that you're totally happy with whats been done and achieved?

Mac do you mean get the bike Dyno'd before i take it to get remapped? At hilltop the bike gets Dyno'd to see what state its in then he maps it and Dyno's it again to see the visual difference. With regards to the Engine i dont know how mine has been treated before me but it does have full BMWSH so im hoping thats a good sign, as for how it was ridden and maintained between services im not sure but all i do know is that its definitely not running right since the decat and needs remapped.

Latest posts

Back