2015 Paint Quality

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDPDesign

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any issues with paint quality on their 2015 RR?

I've just done a deep clean on mine this morning and noticed that in a few areas the paint has rubbed through, especially under the seat where it touches the tank. Also, where the tank cover meets the side infill panels it has rubbed through... Looks pretty poor to me, especially after only covering 2000 miles or so....

Last edited:
Paint Quality

Cosmetically, after 3,000 road and track miles, mine looks fine with no issues so far. However the OEM screen does have a few light scratches through normal wear and tear.

On mine it is about as resilient as cream cheese! Surely it's a warranty issue if panels are rubbing and removing paint???

Certainly worth raising with your dealer. If they agree they will need to put a case to BMW UK.

this is a useful thread for you guys with '15 bikes and paint issues, it's going to be safety in numbers on this problem, or the dealer/BMW will say it's a one off and down to your riding position, environment. So I would urge any new model owners with paint issues to post here :).

Mine has 'at the moment' no cause to return to the dealer, but by Christ don't ever 'T' cut it lol..

Changed my rear tyre today. I have my own gear for removing, refitting and balancing. Used my usual tyre levers, rim savers and bead breaker, was absolutely gutted to see a scuff almost 1" wide on the rim where the lever had pressed against the rim saver. I really can't believe how soft this paint is.

My dealer has raised a ticket regarding the other paint issues I am having; it's going to be sorted after Christmas when they collect it and get it in for inspection/repair.

I had the tank and top panels off recently to fit a power commander. The overall quality of plastics and finish doesn't seem what I would have expected from a 'premium' bike- I most certainly wouldn't want to have to take the panels off and on too many times, don't think they would last that long. Can't believe I'm saying this but my old GSXR was better finished!

No probs with mine at the mo. Being a painter(sprayer) I could refinish the panels to make them better but that would mean more weight, have you felt the weight of a tin of paint? Something's got to give in weight saving when yr chasing grams....(+ less paint is cheaper :) )

Last edited:
Changed my rear tyre today. I have my own gear for removing, refitting and balancing. Used my usual tyre levers, rim savers and bead breaker, was absolutely gutted to see a scuff almost 1" wide on the rim where the lever had pressed against the rim saver. I really can't believe how soft this paint is.

My dealer has raised a ticket regarding the other paint issues I am having; it's going to be sorted after Christmas when they collect it and get it in for inspection/repair.

I had the tank and top panels off recently to fit a power commander. The overall quality of plastics and finish doesn't seem what I would have expected from a 'premium' bike- I most certainly wouldn't want to have to take the panels off and on too many times, don't think they would last that long. Can't believe I'm saying this but my old GSXR was better finished!
Yep my GSXR had better paint for sure..

Quite impressed with BMW Warranty now. All in all I've had rear tail pod replaced (as in the whole tail pod!) tank cover and tank replaced all under warranty due to poor paint quality... no arguments from the dealer, collected the bike (80+ miles each way) assessed it, replaced parts, cleaned it, and then returned it... I was expecting more of a fight from them...

Yeh I've had the same the same experience with my dealer too. I had a light scratch across the tank cover that could be seen at a certain angle. Rather than try and polish it out which would've worked, they just replaced it no quibble at all.

Jefferies at Shipley. Cannot fault them, I've had 100% perfect service from them on two S1000RR's now. They are no where near the nearest to me, distance wise, but what they lack in convenience they more than make up for in the fantastic quality of service.

Jefferies at Shipley. Cannot fault them, I've had 100% perfect service from them on two S1000RR's now. They are no where near the nearest to me, distance wise, but what they lack in convenience they more than make up for in the fantastic quality of service.

I too rate AJ for service and dealing with BMW on warranty issues. Sales - Only ever bought the HP4 from them, always got a better deal elsewhere when buying bikes.

Yep! Same for me too. They fitted a new front wheel to mine because there was a bit missing from the red pin stripe, new subframe due to cross threaded pillion foot rest mounting bolt and new front fairing V piece due to it having a broken mounting lug. No argument at all, picked up the bike and delivered it back.

Latest posts

Back