BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
European Trackday

Thanks for all the comments and hopefully the write up proves useful to some. I've since picked up my BMW from No Limits; removed the race fairings; given the bike a thorough clean; fitted new tyres, front brake pads and a few other parts and changed the oil and filter. Now to book the next trackday before the end of the season for more of this...

_DSC2096_zpschipsvxz.jpg

Portim?o Trackday

You may also find this useful for reference...

T1
Gear: 3
T2
T3
Gear: 2
T4
T5
T6/7
T8
T9
Gear: 4
T10/11
T12
T13
T14
T15

BMW HP Chain Adjusters / FFR Quick Release Wheel Axles

In preparation for my next trackday I've fitted the final parts to my BMW which arrived whilst I was on track at Portim?o. After spending quite a lot of time this season changing wheels I started investigating quick change wheel kits as used in BSB, WSBK and EWC. However some of the options available were both extremely expensive and involved considerable modification to the swingarm. Furthermore most of the conversions available would no longer allow the use of the OEM rear brake caliper and retaining bracket. This would then mean further expense as I would then have to purchase an additional underslung Brembo racing unit and a bespoke rear brake line. After a fair bit of research I finally found a set that were reasonably priced albeit located in the USA.

The company in question is FFR who are well-renowned in the Moto America paddock and can build a set to meet your specification and budget. After a fairly comprehensive email exchange I decided to order a set of their quick release axles built to suit my requirements.

I already had a set of the HP chain adjusters fitted to my bike which I really like as they are cheap and effective. The simple design of the HP chain adjusters also means that they are held captive in the swingarm when changing wheels and they are also quite accurate. To that end I asked if it would be possible to incorporate a set of these into the design of my quick release rear axle. FFR obliged and ordered a set from BMW Motorrad USA on my behalf and then machined a bespoke quick change rear axle kit for me. Together with the HP chain adjusters the rear axle kit incorporates a captive rear caliper bracket to aid rear wheel changes and they also feature a CNC machined billet axle with left-hand threads for quick removal/installation. With the rear kit I can also reuse both my alpha Racing and BST captive wheel spacers again to save cost. When I find time I will also chamfer the leading and bottom edges of the rear brake pads as this just helps with locating the rear brake disc between the pads and into the caliper.

The front quick release axle is much simpler and is machined so that one end goes into the stock axle and the other end stands out so you can capture it with a 27 mm socket. Helpfully the bolt size is now the same front and rear. It is also supplied with a billet axle nut, captive front wheel spacer and shorter left threaded bushing. FFR claim that front wheel changes can be done in 30 seconds with their kit if using an under-yoke type front stand and modifying the front mudguard which then allows the wheel to be removed with the calipers in place. Realistically that would take some practice to achieve but extremely worthwhile if endurance racing. I don't intend to modify my HP front mudguard but front wheel changes are already noticeably faster and so much easier.

Both front and rear quick release axles also come completed with Delrin axle guide tips and I have chosen blue anodised aluminium pull caps to match the HP Race Brake Bleed Valves I already have fitted.

The machining and quality of the parts are excellent and if you are solely doing trackdays, or are racing, I can't recommend the service that FFR provide highly enough. The only small negative point is that I can no longer use my HP front and rear axle protectors, but the utility of the FFR kit heavily outweighs the benefit of having them fitted. I very much prefer function over form but these do look rather good when fitted and certainly wouldn't look amiss on a professionally prepared race bike. From brief, CAD, production, to delivery the whole process has taken several months but the result has been worth the wait. All in all I'm really pleased with them as they should allow much quicker and easier wheel changes next season. That and they are currently the only set like it in existence.

Parts

After installing my quick release axles that's all the parts fitted that I've accumulated over the last two seasons. It's pretty much finished now and short of lock wiring, adding a transponder and number boards, it's almost in a race ready-state. The bike is now at Superstock specification, which has always been the intent, and is ideal for its use as a track only bike.

Specification

Engine and Exhaust

Akrapovič HP Race Titanium Full System
alpha Racing Airbox Cover
alpha Racing (BMC) Air Filter
alpha Racing (Samco) Coolant Hoses
alpha Racing Magnetic Oil Sump Bolt
alpha Racing Oil Filler Plug Kit
alpha Racing Valve Cover Set
BMW HP Racing Data Release & Mapping
BMW HP Race Enabled ECU
BMW HP Race Power Kit

Transmission

alpha Racing Chain Guard Failure Kit
BMW HP Chain Adjusters
D.I.D 520 ZVM-X Chain
Renthal Sprockets

Suspension

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor
alpha Racing 46mm Front Fork Stroke Indicator
alpha Racing DDC Front Fork Springs

Brakes

BMW HP Race Brake Bleed Valves
BMW HP Race Brake Pads

Controls and Ergonomics

alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit
BMW HP Brake Lever
BMW HP Brake Lever Guard
BMW HP Clutch Lever
BMW HP Rearsets
Stompgrips

Bodywork

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings
alpha Racing Fairing Drain Plugs
alpha Racing Fairing Mounting Kit
alpha Racing (MRA) Screen
Akrapovič HP Carbon Fibre Exhaust Bracket
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
BMW HP Race Seat

Wheels

alpha Racing Captive Wheel Spacers
BMW HP Forged Wheels
BST Carbon Fibre Wheels
FFR Quick Release Wheel Axle Kit

Miscellaneous

2D GPS Laptrigger
Akrapovič Baffle
alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors
alpha Racing Crash Protectors
alpha Racing Plug Set
alpha Racing Steering Lock Stops
alpha Racing Quick Release Fuel Cap
alpha Racing WSBK Headlight Decals
BMW HP Engine Case Protectors
BMW HP Paddock Stand Adapters
BMW HP Race Datalogger
BMW Tank Protector
Cox Racing Titanium Radiator & Oil Cooler Guard Kit
MYLAPS Transponder Bracket

what a cracking bike with a huge spec , well done ry it's a beauty

Re: Specification

Engine and Exhaust

Akrapovič HP Race Titanium Full System
alpha Racing Airbox Cover
alpha Racing (BMC) Air Filter
alpha Racing (Samco) Coolant Hoses
alpha Racing Magnetic Oil Sump Bolt
alpha Racing Oil Filler Plug Kit
alpha Racing Valve Cover Set
BMW HP Racing Data Release & Mapping
BMW HP Race Enabled ECU
BMW HP Race Power Kit

Transmission

alpha Racing Chain Guard Failure Kit
BMW HP Chain Adjusters
D.I.D 520 ZVM-X Chain
Renthal Sprockets

Suspension

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor
alpha Racing 46mm Front Fork Stroke Indicator
alpha Racing DDC Front Fork Springs

Brakes

BMW HP Race Brake Bleed Valves
BMW HP Race Brake Pads

Controls and Ergonomics

alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit
BMW HP Brake Lever
BMW HP Brake Lever Guard
BMW HP Clutch Lever
BMW HP Rearsets
Stompgrips

Bodywork

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings
alpha Racing Fairing Drain Plugs
alpha Racing Fairing Mounting Kit
alpha Racing (MRA) Screen
Akrapovič HP Carbon Fibre Exhaust Bracket
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
BMW HP Race Seat

Wheels

alpha Racing Captive Wheel Spacers
BMW HP Forged Wheels
BST Carbon Fibre Wheels
FFR Quick Release Wheel Axle Kit

Miscellaneous

2D GPS Laptrigger
Akrapovič Baffle
alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors
alpha Racing Crash Protectors
alpha Racing Plug Set
alpha Racing Steering Lock Stops
alpha Racing Quick Release Fuel Cap
alpha Racing WSBK Headlight Decals
BMW HP Engine Case Protectors
BMW HP Paddock Stand Adapters
BMW HP Race Datalogger
BMW Tank Protector
Cox Racing Titanium Radiator & Oil Cooler Guard Kit
MYLAPS Transponder Bracket

How much have you spent on the bike Ryan if you don't mind me asking? Just looking at the big ticket stuff must be well over ?10k?

Cost

I've not spent as much as you might think on it and nowhere near as much as I would have had to if I was racing. I've used my ACU race discount for a lot of the parts which has kept costs down and it's been a gradual process over the last two seasons.

Wow what a write up Ryan. Haven't got round to posting about my Almeria/Andalucia experience but will do soon.

European Trackday

Thanks. Now it's just a case of deciding which European circuit to visit next season...

I can highly recommend aragon. Sat in hotel bar this morning after 3 "eventful" days .report to follow 😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

European Trackday

The shortlist is Aragon, Brno or Mugello. All MotoGP circuits, but the main UK trackday companies are yet to release their full 2017 event lists.

Re: European Trackday

The shortlist is Aragon, Brno or Mugello. All MotoGP circuits, but the main UK trackday companies are yet to release their full 2017 event lists.

Inspiring read Ryan but I have a job to do and 2 young kids, please stop posting such informative stuff as its killing my productivity and lessening my family time in general....

Brilliant post and lots of valuable info for everyone there.
I particularly like the quick release system you had made, very nice.
The pics are superb and your bike is awesome, thanks for sharing Ryan.

Thanks. This thread serves as a good way for me to document ownership of my BMW and if it proves useful to others then that's great.

Ok, 3 days last week at Portimao, 1st day really didn't like it at all. Lack of vision into turns due to elevations, too many rumble strips which leads to miniscule cahoonas :( plus I was on new to me the bridgestone vo2's. They seemed a bit 'vague' to start with, not like the sc or RR's I was used to but by the afternoon of day 2 it was starting to come together a little (read know where I was going lol ) 2.05's so was reasonably happy with that for a first time there. Last day was up for it, knew I was winding it on due to another gear with similar revs but the timing had crashed so will never know (don't have timing on my bike) I would guess, 2'02/3's although maybe it was 1'55's lol I WISH ! Extremely rippled in turn 2 and 3, which to be fair I only really noticed on the last day when I was on it. Turn 5 was the 2nd worse for ripples losing traction and nearly running on at the left hander but didn't, turn 10(?) dodgy double right hander was a challenge I never got right, then trying to power down over the patched up tarmac was a bit twitchy up to the last tight left hander. 2nd to last right hander was a waiting game until you jumped the gully and get on the power, last right hander on to the straight was a nightmare for me, having lost the front twice over the brow then fighting the ripples I just couldn't bring myself to wind it on any earlier. Maxed out at 176 down the straight before heavy braking just over the brow, scary stuff lol ! Would defo go again although need to try others....
On Sunday the last night, had a touch of sunstroke which kept me in bed until today, then tweaked my back so walking wounded, not even unloaded yet, tut...........I'll put a vid up when i'm sorted

Portim?o

Portim?o is definitely a fast and challenging circuit but a fantastic one nonetheless. I'm really looking forward to going back there next year.

Latest posts

Back