Oil & Water pump chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmrichardson

Reaction score
Hi

I have just recently picked up a 2010 S1000RR that I'm turning into a track bike

the bike is accident damaged, so I'm making my way through it ,

first I discovered a piece of metal stuck to the sump bolt, opened the clutch side engine casing and discovered one of the pins had broken off the shift star, I believe this is a fairly common fault in the S1000RR ?

anyway as I was working through this repair , I couldn't help but notice what I would consider excessive play on the chain driving the oil and water pump,

now I don't know the S1000RR at all, but I build and restore bikes, and the play just seems way too much to me?

do these chain have a lot of slack in them ?

thanks in advance
Neil

they have that much slack, i was worried when i was messing with my gear shift and found it this loose...normal imo. :)

A broken shift star is not uncommon. However, most of the time this is a symptom of a worn gear box (in detail: the gear box dogs).

The worn gear box is not uncommon with the 2010 S1000RR, suffering from quickshifter abuse. A good repair is replacing the gear box with a 2012 gear box.

In almost all cases the 3rd gear shift star pin breaks. This means you cannot go above 2nd gear anymore. This is caused by a sudden false neutral when shifting from 2 - 3, the bike revs and then clunks into gear again, breaking the pin that was not designed for that.

I'm sorry for this bad news. You could just replace the shift star, but I believe you will have problems sooner or later again.

A broken shift star is not uncommon. However, most of the time this is a symptom of a worn gear box (in detail: the gear box dogs).

The worn gear box is not uncommon with the 2010 S1000RR, suffering from quickshifter abuse. A good repair is replacing the gear box with a 2012 gear box.

In almost all cases the 3rd gear shift star pin breaks. This means you cannot go above 2nd gear anymore. This is caused by a sudden false neutral when shifting from 2 - 3, the bike revs and then clunks into gear again, breaking the pin that was not designed for that.

I'm sorry for this bad news. You could just replace the shift star, but I believe you will have problems sooner or later again.

Hi Peter,

thanks for the input, I do hope you are wrong though lol.

the bike was accident damaged, and the clutch cover had taken a knock, I hope the pin broke off from that knock rather than a worn box

but I guess only time will tell ...

Back