Which SATNAV to Consider

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
I'm looking for a SATNAV for the '15, one that more or less is plug n play without the faff of messing around with the bike wiring, cutting, splicing and soldering etc., though I assume there maybe some of this involved anyway, not sure?? ideally one that makes use of the accessories socket on the bike.

Not going the BMW route as this is far too expensive and I don't want to be using a mobile phone with maps loaded. just after a good, solid, reliable SATNAV with a good display for my old fart mince pies to use in UK and perhaps Europe.

Any experiences/recommendations, Garmin, TomTom etc., and what accessories to consider and to use in car as well?

Cheers

Billy having just had a total nightmare with BMW Nav V made by Garmin I have just installed a TomTom 410 with best routes pre installed. Covers all Europe as standard and has lifetime worldwide maps. I've used it on a test a few weeks back and it is simplicity itself, can bet rotated through 90 degrees by hand too.

Well worth a look at.

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Billy having just had a total nightmare with BMW Nav V made by Garmin I have just installed a TomTom 410 with best routes pre installed. Covers all Europe as standard and has lifetime worldwide maps. I've used it on a test a few weeks back and it is simplicity itself, can bet rotated through 90 degrees by hand too.

Well worth a look at.

JimmyMac

Good tip, I've been looking at that one too. But, can't work out how to mount it or power it! Would prefer not to have to run it straight off the battery, and can't be bothered to faff around with running the wires under the tank. Any easy fixes?

Stephens the man for that, I just plugged it in to my GSA, it had a spare socket to plug into. I dont use a satnav on my HP4, but the TomTom holds a charge for about 8 hours.

JimmyMac

Stephens the man for that, I just plugged it in to my GSA, it had a spare socket to plug into. I dont use a satnav on my HP4, but the TomTom holds a charge for about 8 hours.

JimmyMac
great thanks! I’ll see if I can message him to get the full details.

+1 on the tom toms I?ve got a 400 and been all over Europe with it. There a lot easier to use than garmen in my view and now use the same route files so you can exchange. It you try to make routes use Moto go loco. It?s free to register click and drag and you can download the routes to the sat navs easy peasy....

myrouteapp.com is so much better than the motoloco site. You can upload as well as download, and have routes in different folders etc.

great thanks! I’ll see if I can message him to get the full details.

He will supply you the charging cable with the canbus plug so it plugs into the spare socket on your bike hidden behind the fairing panels. I have one on my HP4 for my garmin nav5 although I need to return the cable to Stephen for repair as it has now stopped turning off the power to the unit when I turn the ignition off.

He will supply you the charging cable with the canbus plug so it plugs into the spare socket on your bike hidden behind the fairing panels. I have one on my HP4 for my garmin nav5 although I need to return the cable to Stephen for repair as it has now stopped turning off the power to the unit when I turn the ignition off.

I had a cable from Stephen and had the same problem - drained my battery over a couple of weeks of non-use but he kindly diagnosed a faulty bit and repaired it for me. It's been fine ever since ( /me touches wood .. ooerrr ).

My cable was a bit special though:
1 x tom tom connection
1 x usb charger connection (with enough umph to charge an iphone 6s+)
1 x external switch for the usb connection .. so that if the ignition is on, so is the usb, but if the ignition is off the usb is off, unless i flick the switch. This way I could charge the phone up in situ on the bike whilst I refuel the bike or me, without having to have the keys in and ignition on.

That last bit was gold for me ..

I just bought a cable from BMW for ?20 and attached my tom tom lead. Just used the multi meter to find the earth and switched feed. Connected it to the accessories connector on the LHS can bus. Powers when ignition on and shuts down after ignition off.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems that the TomTom scrapes it over the Garmin. Must admit after a Spain trip last year the leader used a Garmin to get us about and at times it did have a mind of it's own.

So the 410 premium pack has all the extras which I'll use retailing around ?350, the TomTom 450 retails same price but to go premium with the 450 takes it to ?430. Does anyone know if there's any major improvement in the 450 over the 410?

I just bought a cable from BMW for ?20 and attached my tom tom lead. Just used the multi meter to find the earth and switched feed. Connected it to the accessories connector on the LHS can bus. Powers when ignition on and shuts down after ignition off.

Is this the TomTom power connector with the red and black leads? You connected these leads to the BMW connector, is this the Part No: GAR-CANBUSZU660 which has 3 leads?

Is this the TomTom power connector with the red and black leads? You connected these leads to the BMW connector, is this the Part No: GAR-CANBUSZU660 which has 3 leads?

Not sure of part number but ask BMW for accessories lead for S1000rr just in case. Google image looks about right.

Yes has three leads. You only need two for Tom Tom.
Then a stem mount and ram extender arm from eBay. I?ll send a picture when home. There are two free connectors on the LHS. One is for the front Travel sensor and other for accessories. but only one has a switched live. The free connection on the RHS might also work but manual said this was for lap time sensor.

Not sure of part number but ask BMW for accessories lead for S1000rr just in case. Google image looks about right.

Yes has three leads. You only need two for Tom Tom.
Then a stem mount and ram extender arm from eBay. I’ll send a picture when home. There are two free connectors on the LHS. One is for the front Travel sensor and other for accessories. but only one has a switched live. The free connection on the RHS might also work but manual said this was for lap time sensor.

Thanks for this. Bit more research found it is the lead I need. Searching the forum I found it is LHS for the connector as you say, bottom connector of the two - is that right? and it is LHS sitting on the bike?

I'll be after a stem mount so a pic would be useful thanks. I use a Wunderlich tank bag so it'll need to clear this.

Using the plug behind the horn in the RHS will not cause you any issues.

I use a wunderlich tank bag with a ram ball mount and 2 inch stem/arm and it clears the bag, just with a garmin.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems that the TomTom scrapes it over the Garmin. Must admit after a Spain trip last year the leader used a Garmin to get us about and at times it did have a mind of it's own.

So the 410 premium pack has all the extras which I'll use retailing around ?350, the TomTom 450 retails same price but to go premium with the 450 takes it to ?430. Does anyone know if there's any major improvement in the 450 over the 410?

I purchased the Tom Tom 410 Premium last year before my French trip. My mate was using a Garmin, though not sure of the model. It was as if we were joined at the hip. They both gave the exact directions, door to door.
The Premium comes with all leads and fittings needed. It also comes with the suction mounting to use in your car or van + charging lead for the car.
I use a stem mount with short extension on the S thou. I don't use a tank bag so it positions it nicely near the dash. I have a different mounting on the FZ1 but still use the short extension.

Thanks for this. Bit more research found it is the lead I need. Searching the forum I found it is LHS for the connector as you say, bottom connector of the two - is that right? and it is LHS sitting on the bike?

I'll be after a stem mount so a pic would be useful thanks. I use a Wunderlich tank bag so it'll need to clear this.

dbb155f9a670859d98111902323b99d9.jpg
c294e1c01f557b1442cff2557e31ca05.jpg

I?ll remove panel weekend a post pics

Great pictures thanks for posting, install looks good.

I like the connectors shown in the second picture, did you fit a sleeve over the BMW connector leads and fit those connectors? Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?

With the stem mount I think I'll need more clearance than the one you've got when my tank bag is fitted.

Latest posts

Back