Portimao Nov 10-13 2017

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy track.
2:09/2:10’s today pleased with that, considering I manage it without using knee sliders :)

Stuck this bad boy on for the morning...

72a893c6be99b02aed7d255fb8f3349e.jpg

- Sent from Mobile

To quote Rocket Ron 'Gerritt reet over' Alex!

To quote Adrian Coates, ?you take rights like Mick Doohan?

I?ll take that.
What he meant was I actually get almost both cheeks off...its the upper body not going with it.

Need to stick my elbows out

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
To quote Adrian Coates, ‘you take rights like Mick Doohan’

I’ll take that.
What he meant was I actually get almost both cheeks off...its the upper body not going with it.

Need to stick my elbows out

- Sent from Mobile

Inside elbow should be collapsed down and right in in, that'll bring yr upper body down. Oh, and smile !!

All good thanks.
Got a 2:07.6 at best. To quote my mate: "Imagine what you could achieve if you leant the bike over" Ha haaa truism for sure.

GJW_9664.jpg

Portim?o

I'm glad you had a good time and kept it shiny side up. A 2:07s lap time isn't too bad. I was comfortably lapping in the high 1:59s by Day 3 when I was there last season but that's nothing compared to the fastest race lap set by Rea (1:41.4) at the WSBK round held there in September!!!

Looks like you had a great time on track Alex. How did you find the slicks compared to your usual road tyre?
I felt so much more confident using them for the first time and the bike felt very different when in slick mode.

The D212's Racers are excellent. I stopped thinking about the tyres...started riding again. The KR106/108's just take that and turn the confidence up to 11. I was not using them to their full potential as I've still not cranked the bike over to 55+ degrees where they really shine (due to the profile). I will say this though, the KR's are so tall that on the Alpha seat (850mm) it's a real job to reach the floor with both feet (I'm ~5'11). It was noticeably taller than on the D212's.

Compared to road tyres, I'm not really sure, because I use warmers I treat them differently. From turn one you can just bang it in the corner and it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. Breakaway is progressive under acceleration. Braking was stable and planted. Tip in is measured allowing for line adjustment with a little pressure on either bar.
The Diamond warmers with Digital Controller are so good for the money, both the fella's with me have now switched to them. Having warmers just means you can get on it straight away, assuming the tarmac is over 16degrees which it is on most Euro trips. No wasted laps trying to get them into the zone. Someone tried to scrub a cold KR108...he went from turn 1 to hospital with a dislocated shoulder, having high-sided his 1199 Panigale. Warmers are essential IMO.

Though I loved the tyres, For my next trip I have 2 sets of V02 Mediums to test. FWR were selling pairs for ?255 last week so I grabbed a couple of sets quickly as that's a saving of ~?100 over D212's and closer to ?200 on KR's. The V02's have a smaller rolling radius so the seat height shouldn't be as much of an issue. And by all reports they are equally confidence inspiring and durable.

I'm probably never going to try Pirelli's as they don't last long enough for the cost.

My pal is ok - two busted ribs and he had a bang to the head - not much you can do for the ribs. He's just dealing with it - not for the first time. He and the fastest guy there, whom he was chasing at the time, came round the 2nd to last left, heading up to the last left and got blinded by the sun - in 2 mins something up there changed which meant they were more dazzled than the previous lap. They were both on low 1:5x laps...same tyres as I was doing 2:10's lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply Alex, I guess it’s just trial and error for different manufacturers.
The confidence given for me is partly due to being in my head but that translates on track when you ride so I’m sticking with them!
Glad you’re mate is sort of ok, the sun isn’t something you really have to worry about at Knockhill...
Im looking into Euro Track days for next year so have read your post with interest.

Some of the data from the Solo DL...only I didn't plug in the DL bit - I had the HP Datalogger still in for this trip, will fit the DL cable when I strip and clean the old girl upon her return.

I have brought the HP DL back to send to the new owner.

I found the timer was really helpful, I knew where I was lap on lap. I started in Grp 1, had tuition for the day, which allowed me to go out in Grp1 and Grp2. By being out in Grp2 and not having more than a couple come past I knew I was probably going to be elevated to Grp2 the next morning and so it proved to be. The 1 day tuition quickly shifted from lines to body position, we discussed a few bits but TBH I didn't get as much out of it as I hoped. Only confirmation that my lefts and rights differ and I need to combine both 'styles' to maximise my laptime. Having the Mike 'Spike' Edwards video on lines around Portimao was probably of more value for money. Taking nothing away from Steve and Adrian who were tutoring and do the best they can with a group.

As I'd got down to a 2:12 on day 1 (which elevated me to Grp2 for Day2) I felt that 3 seconds of improvement would secure my position Grp2 for Day 3. And once I'd done a 2:09 (and knew it from the logger) I could learn quickly where the time had come from. My 2:07 on Day 3 was a one off but by then I guess I was feeling the effects of 3 days on the bike and 3 days on the beers!

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 19.15.37.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 13.44.07.png

You should do an online tutorial so Ryan can see how to post his session data too ;).

Datalogging

Reading between the lines it sounds like the AiM unit is far more user friendly than the HP Datalogger? I would definitely recommend trying a 2D GPS Laptrigger as the way it interacts with the dash is brilliant.

Re: Datalogging

Reading between the lines it sounds like the AiM unit is far more user friendly than the HP Datalogger? I would definitely recommend trying a 2D GPS Laptrigger as the way it interacts with the dash is brilliant.

Yeah it was a toss up between the two; add the 2D lap trigger for dashboard integration awesomeness or switch to aim.

What swung it was mainly costs.
By switching to an AIM DL I could offset the cost by selling the HP Datalogger. Whereas the Lap Trigger setup would have still needed it for a complete setup. So the AIM cost a net ?200 and the laptrigger would have been ?500.

2 other things were in AIM?s favour.
- can be used on other bikes with a new cable
- can get the data to video overlay (tried and failed with the HP)

Its not so much that the AIM is more user friendly its that the results were instant. Yes a laptrigger would have the same outcome in a lovely integrated way but I couldn?t justify paying more for it.

- Sent from Mobile

Latest posts

Back