PZRacing GPS Laptimer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenjoe90

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152173168858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
BW400 GPS Receiver for BMW

Can someone please give me some advice. I bought this laptimer from PZRacing as it is simple just plug n play. I have installed it as per instructions and went to Cadwell Park last Monday and Tuesday. The lights on the device seam to work correctly but i am getting nothing on my laptimer display. After coming home i have downloaded some instructions from the website and it says i need to go into my bike settings and tell it i have an external laptimer conected. Can someone please tell me how to do this as i can not find anything in my owners manual about this ?

External Laptimer

If you go to the SETUP MENU there is an option to set the laptimer to TRIG EXTERN. By selecting this it will allow the bike to receive the signal from the laptimer.

Re: External Laptimer

I don't know if it make a difference but i have a 2014 HP4 and so far have not found "TRIG EXTERN". I will have a look when i get the bike back from Graham's Motorcycles( Just gone in for a quick oil and tyre change before going to Porimao next week)

Ryan is referring to the gen 3 bike. I thought the laptimer was plug and play on the hp4. I *think* it plugs into the canbus socket on the RHS just behind the horn - I don't use one so not 100%. I don't recall seeing a setup menu option for it? Be interesting to know how you get on with it, I thought that the 2d laptrigger unit was the only option for these.

I have sent an enquiry to PZRacing and told them i have no setting for an external GPS. As you say it should be "Plug and play" I will wait for there answer. Hope i get it sorted as i am in Portimao next week.

I think Baz got one of these. Said it struggled to find the satellites when mounted to the tank - ended up moving it to the tail unit...but that did involve re-wiring it. So in short, is it seeing where it is in the world?

I bought one of these for my Gen 2. Didn't work, very unreliable for signal capture. It says mount horizontally with nothing to interfere with it on a direct line up to satellite. Theres no point on the front to do that. I got my money back eventually through an eBay/paypal dispute. The vendor said send it back for refund but would not confirm they had received it. Luckily i tracked it and won the dispute. I have now gone for the Aim solo and its just so easy and reliable. Aim do a mounting kit that uses the top yoke which Omnia (italy) do for €50 delivered. You can take the Aim with you if/when you change the bike as well.

Im having a quick look at it for Darren while it's in the shop, never used one before, I've not used the manual timer either tbh - not bothered about lap times yet haha.

But if someone could shine some light on it for me, how would I know if it's working without riding the bike on a track? Or without riding it at all as it's not a road bike...

Im having a quick look at it for Darren while it's in the shop, never used one before, I've not used the manual timer either tbh - not bothered about lap times yet haha.

But if someone could shine some light on it for me, how would I know if it's working without riding the bike on a track? Or without riding it at all as it's not a road bike...
I would avoid this plug in one. Either go all in with the 2D one or get a stand alone one.

I'm sitting in the hotel at Portimao whilst I write!
I'm sure you can set the dash to manual/auto/external trigger.
Assuming that is set,when first switching on the red light appears solid.It then takes several minutes to locate the satellites,the light then flashes to show it is receiving gps.It will do no more until you press the button to locate the startline(my unit is on the seat so I use the pitlane).
The unit does not like cameras near it(?!)and TBH the gps signal could be better-but it's cheap enough and just worked perfectly in Almeria and,hopefully,will do the same here later this week.

I sent an email to PZRacing and this was there reply.

Dear,
there's no setting for external GPS, just set the dashboard to view the laptimer.

Are ou using the BW400 with a preloaded track automatically or on a new track manually?
How many timesyou try the product? Wich tracks?

Could you send us an installation picture of the gps receiver?

Kindest regards
----------------------------------
Marchetti Paolo
- Customer Service

GetFileAttachment

Il 10/10/2016 16:34, Mr Darren --- ha scritto:
Name: Mr Darren -----
E-mail:
Company:
Message: I have bought a B-Tronic BW400 for my BMW 2013 HP4. All lights work ok but nothing happens on my dash. I do not have any setting for an external GPS. Can you please tell me how to get this working ? Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give it another try in Portimao next week but if it dont work then i think i will ask for my money back. I already have the 2D built into my D-Air suit but i have to download it at the end of each day. I just want a simple lap timer to look at without pressing the flasher all the time.

Unfortunately at Portimao,the laptimer will not pick up a gps signal in the garages(2 floors).Basically,if you want to use it you will need to put the bike in the pitlane to acquire a signal!-You do have time to do it manually on the start straight as there is a line just after the rise.

Laptimer seems to be working fine now. Only thing i noticed at Portimao is that i needed to do two laps before it started working and it never timed my last lap as the pit garage was before the start finish line. Parked up now till the end of Feb when i will be at Calafat in northern Spain.

Just a quick heads up, with these units you need to make sure that you aren't placing it near a GoPro camera. Usually if you do not want to extend the wires, the top yoke is a good place to mount it.

Ours on the gen 3 or total dog toffee, it's not reliable at all, and not accurate, it doesn't know where it is on the track and the times do not correlate to the data logger.
It's going back to pz obviously, but do ensure you mount it as stated in the instructions as that will be their get out of jail free card.
Flat with no obstructions from GPS signal

Latest posts

Back