Garage Defender

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trumpetman21

Reaction score
Alreet.

Have just moved house and am wondering whether or not to fit one of the PJB 'Garage Defenders' that stop tea-leaves opening the up-and-over garage door?

The bike is alarmed and will be chained to a ground anchor inside the garage, some say the Garage Defender attracts unwanted 'professional' attention and others say that they deter your opportunist thief from having a go. I've also read some opinion that they are pretty ineffective and can be defeated relatively easily so am a little confused.

Any advice/opinion gratefully received. Cheers.

;)

They are good but are very obvious and do shout 'there's something expensive inside'. Personally I go for the undercover look and even cultivate the weeds growing in front of the door. ;D

I have the same as Phil on my garage door, people don't even notice they're fitted. :)

phil link=topic=1913.msg17464#msg17464 date=1356685258 said:
I have fitted these Locks and recommend them all the time http://www.aldridgesecurity.co.uk/zoomify.aspx?src=images/product/large/asec_0443_1_&altsrc=images/product/large/asec_0443_1_.jpg

They should be fitted approx 10''- 12" up from the bottom of the door, one on each side. If you have a seperate external (single) door to the garage you will also need to protect that or bolt it from the inside.

Pm me if you need any more advice.

Phil
Am presuming that these fit behind the door so just the keyhole is showing to the outside?

Yep, locks bolted onto door on the inside, easy to fit really. 3 holes through the front of the door. 2 for bolting lock to door and 1 keyhole. Keyhole plates (escuteons) only on outside, 1 hole through the side/edge of garage door for Lock bolt to go through. Make 1 hole in door frame/wall..

I was talking about the garage defender which is a dirty great red bar which bolts to the floor on the outside of the door. I've got two keyed alike 10 lever mortice locks welded either side of the door along with a pad bolt on the bottom of the door inside. None of this is visible from the outside. If they get past that lot they are welcome to it.

Trumpetman21 link=topic=1913.msg17500#msg17500 date=1356771622 said:
Yeah thats my main concern with it. Easier than you'd imagine to defeat as well if some are to be believed.
I would not choose the Garage Defender (even though I sell them), if you feel your garage is vulnerable then you could fit 2 pairs of the Locks I suggested, 1 lock on each corner of the door. They only cost about £30 a pair.

You cannot stop determined Thief's, you can hold them up and make their job a little harder.

Keeping your Bike hidden away from passers by is an important part of security, I never leave my bike out on show outside my house.

Agree with all the above and I have those bolts fitted to the garage sides.

Also with the garage defender, the security plate that is bolted to the ground has a raised part which is a trip hazard.

Latest posts

Back